21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

my tort likes weeds, except dandelions!
anyone ever had this before.

picky tortoise! aha
just thought id see if anyone elses are as picky as mine.

had around 50 grow overnight. lol

#2 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

Hello
I have never heard of a tort not enjoying dandelions before,have you tried cutting them up small and mixing in with other weeds.
Jayne,H,Becky and Humpty

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

Nope, I've never come across this before. biggrin.gif
Perhaps they are being saved for a special occasion! laugh.gif

Paula x

#4 Guest_summer8507_*

Guest_summer8507_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

my baby tort Rita is 5 months old and she is now having dandilion leaves etc but shes really fussy with the flowers!! first i gave her whole ones to have ago at b ut nope she wasnt having any of it! so i cut them up and mixed them with her leaves and she really tries hard not to eat the bits!!!
gem xxx

#5 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (MickyTort @ Apr 1 2011, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my tort likes weeds, except dandelions!
anyone ever had this before.

picky tortoise! aha
just thought id see if anyone elses are as picky as mine.

had around 50 grow overnight. lol

what a suprise!!!
My Alfie wont eat them either. far happier munching (or trying) to, the cement out from in between me patio slabs!! mad.gif mad.gif

he refuses point blank to try the cuttlefish either sad.gif

he is LOVING the sunshine tho, so thats a big releif for me as anyother year he sits all cold in the shade, outside the back door waiting for door to open and climb back indoors!!

one step at a time eh

D x

#6 Guest_summer8507_*

Guest_summer8507_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

kept at it with the chopped up dandy flowers and now she eats them willingly without trying to avoid the dreaded yellow bits lol!

#7 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

mine has proved me wrong today too!!!

Attached Files

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

The Alfster keeps you on your toes Dee! biggrin.gif

The little guys are funny things, Hettie will eat dog violets... until they flower.

Paula x

#9 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Apr 8 2011, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Alfster keeps you on your toes Dee! biggrin.gif

The little guys are funny things, Hettie will eat dog violets... until they flower.

Paula x

they sure do... left him on the patio yesterday, 15mins later we had to play "find the tort"

looked in all his usual haunts.. not there... got us worried now! unsure.gif

finally find him TRYING to fit in between the posts of the fence (that leads to a foxes burrow) 130ft AWAY from the patio where he was last seen!!!

he dont narf cover alot of ground for a MBD tort that isnt even 2inches off the ground! wub.gif
who ever says torts are slow dont know any torts!!

D x

#10 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

Just seen this.... We have spent 40mins searching our 5 room bungalow for active Peta. Bathroom is a wetroom so no hidden corners.... As is the very small box shaped kitchen... 3 rooms..... 40mins... Ridiculus.

#11 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:47 PM

i have a 7 year old Hermann tortoise given to me by my brother last year,he has always been a fussy eater but has now stopped eating any thing,in the garden today he try some moss and was trying to eat a piece of stone,any advice?

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hi There,
There could be many reasons why your tortoise is not eating - poor outdoor temperatures, new environment, worms. Have you weighed him? Has he lost weight? Eating stone and moss can indicate a lack of roughage or flavor in the diet, in other words weeds. He might also need a calcium or vitamin supplement. Usually tortoises can go a month without eating providing they are drinking water. I would persevere with him. Try hand feeding him with some treats. However, if he continues to refuse to eat then it may be necessary to bring him to a vet for a complete check-up. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#13 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

my torts love dandilions but hate flowers.ive tried forget me nots, pansies,dandilions ect ect. they eat the leaves and stalks but always leave the flower. im going to try the tip on chopping them up and mixing them with something else.....tiggy

#14 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hi There,
There could be many reasons why your tortoise is not eating - poor outdoor temperatures, new environment, worms. Have you weighed him? Has he lost weight? Eating stone and moss can indicate a lack of roughage or flavor in the diet, in other words weeds. He might also need a calcium or vitamin supplement. Usually tortoises can go a month without eating providing they are drinking water. I would persevere with him. Try hand feeding him with some treats. However, if he continues to refuse to eat then it may be necessary to bring him to a vet for a complete check-up. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

well im sure he hasnt got worms Freddy but today i bought a bag of mixed crispy salad and would you believe it when i had given him a good bath he sat and scoft a whole dish of them,i give him a vitamin supplement called Nutrobal i hope its the right one also i spoke to a vet on Saturday and he said as you did that he could go for sometime with out eating,of cpurse as iv taken him over from my brother im still feeling my way around things and i think his besk might be to long but there again when i learn hoe to put a photo on here you could perhaps advise me about it.thanks for your help
jackie

#15 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

well im sure he hasnt got worms Freddy but today i bought a bag of mixed crispy salad and would you believe it when i had given him a good bath he sat and scoft a whole dish of them,i give him a vitamin supplement called Nutrobal i hope its the right one also i spoke to a vet on Saturday and he said as you did that he could go for sometime with out eating,of cpurse as iv taken him over from my brother im still feeling my way around things and i think his besk might be to long but there again when i learn hoe to put a photo on here you could perhaps advise me about it.thanks for your help
jackie

excuse spelling im tired cos its late :)

#16 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

'

#17 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Hi Jackie,
It might be wise to ask your brother what he was feeding the tortoise. He may have become too use to eating mixed lettuce and other foods rather than weeds which are better for him. It is good that he is eating something but mixed lettuce is low in nutritional value. I would try to gradually wean him off this by mixing it with weeds. I don't want to be too critical as you seem to be doing your best and as you say are still trying to find your feet. Giving your tortoise nutrobal and bathing him regularly is the correct thing to do. This will ensure he is getting calcium and vitamins and is being well hydrated. A vet is best for filing his beak if it is too long. Anyway Jackie, if you have any further questions please do not be afraid to ask, there are plenty of people here on the forum who can help. For now I wish you the best of luck. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#18 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Both Shell and Peta love Romaine lettuce and I struggle to get them to eat weeds though I grow them in abundance. Even tonight I tried to sneak some young dandelion leaves into Petas tea..... She picked out the lettuce and left the dandilions. Because Shell has been so poorly and is still not eating well I do tend to give her what I know she will eat.... X x x hugs x

#19 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

Attached File  family and me 104.jpg   1.51MB   53 downloadsAttached File  family and me 234.jpg   1.51MB   50 downloads

Hi Jackie,
It might be wise to ask your brother what he was feeding the tortoise. He may have become too use to eating mixed lettuce and other foods rather than weeds which are better for him. It is good that he is eating something but mixed lettuce is low in nutritional value. I would try to gradually wean him off this by mixing it with weeds. I don't want to be too critical as you seem to be doing your best and as you say are still trying to find your feet. Giving your tortoise nutrobal and bathing him regularly is the correct thing to do. This will ensure he is getting calcium and vitamins and is being well hydrated. A vet is best for filing his beak if it is too long. Anyway Jackie, if you have any further questions please do not be afraid to ask, there are plenty of people here on the forum who can help. For now I wish you the best of luck. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

hi Freddy,im going to tey and put some photos of Georgie(the tortoise) on so that all can see him and think he is healthy,also his play ground out side,many thanks for your help,i put him on the scales tonight and he is 1pound 9 oz ,Attached File  family and me 229.jpg   1.52MB   48 downloads good or bad for a 7 year old?

#20 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

Attached File  family and me 104.jpg   1.51MB   53 downloadsAttached File  family and me 234.jpg   1.51MB   50 downloads

Hi Jackie,
Kind Regards
Freddy

hi Freddy,im going to tey and put some photos of Georgie(the tortoise) on so that all can see him and think he is healthy,also his play ground out side,many thanks for your help,i put him on the scales tonight and he is 1pound 9 oz ,Attached File  family and me 229.jpg   1.52MB   48 downloads good or bad for a 7 year old?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users