- - - - -

hermans and horsfields??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

hi, i have 2 baby hermans (9 months old) i have been to our local garden centre today and they have some baby horsfileds and obviously i want some!!!!
my babies are in a larg tortoise table if i have one of the ones ive seen today can i put them together in the same table???

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (emmawantsatortoise @ Apr 4 2011, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi, i have 2 baby hermans (9 months old) i have been to our local garden centre today and they have some baby horsfileds and obviously i want some!!!!
my babies are in a larg tortoise table if i have one of the ones ive seen today can i put them together in the same table???

I don't think so, your new one would need to be quarantined for at least 6 months and I think mixing species is a bit of a no no mellow.gif
x

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

Mixing species is asking for problems, especially with horsfields, as they can do a lot of damage to another species.

#4 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Apr 4 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mixing species is asking for problems, especially with horsfields, as they can do a lot of damage to another species.

thanks for replies maybe i wont bother then lol

#5 Guest_BeatBeat_*

Guest_BeatBeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

As Cara says, you would need to quarantine for some months and it is not advisable to mix. I have no personal experience of Horsfields, but from what I've read on here and other forums they can also be quite nasty to other torts too.

#6 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

have aread of the post I have just added and that will certainly confirm not to.. x

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hello
I agree with Sandy your asking for problems i have three horsefields and the males can be very aggressive when mating.
Jayne,H,Becky and Humpty

#8 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:27 AM

The reasons for not mixing are that some are susceptible to diseases that others don't bother about, but it's the mating habits that cause the most problems. Some bang the females shells a lot and these species tend to have tougher shells. Some bite at the females legs and these have tougher skin (either that or they can run faster laugh.gif ). As usual it's the males that cause the trouble lol rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users