6 year old female behaving suspiciously - eggs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Dear all,

Before starting my queery I just wanted to say congratulations on a fantastic looking new host site for the tortoise forum.

My 6 year old female hermann, Albert, is behaving slightly unusual - in that she appears to be attempting to dig holes in the grass with her back legs - not vry successfully. It may be that she is hosting eggs and she is looking for the best place to lay them. Obviously there isn't an easy way of knowing if this is the case for sure (barring an x-ray) and so I have set up a section of her indoor enclosure with loose soil - with a little hill section. Is there anything else I should be considering - conditions wise to give her the best environment, if she has eggs, in which to lay her eggs? At the moment the soil section (in a carton about 50cm, by 25cm long and 8cm deep) is away from the main tortoise lamp in the cooler section of their enclosure and only the female is able to access the enclosure (as Grace, the male, is about half her size).

Many thanks in anticipation for your responses.

- Alberts owner

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

One of my female iberas lays her eggs in the lawn:0) She has done for the last three years.
It is a sign your female is carrying eggs.

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hi there,

I have to say I have absolutely no experience of egg laying, :rolleyes: but I just wonder if 8cm would be deep enough?
Best of luck to Albert, please let us know how she gets on. :wub:

Paula x

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

The nest needs to be as deep as the length of her from the front legs backwards:0)
As thats how deep they dig. They make a bell shaped nest.

#5 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

Dear all,

Before starting my queery I just wanted to say congratulations on a fantastic looking new host site for the tortoise forum.

My 6 year old female hermann, Albert, is behaving slightly unusual - in that she appears to be attempting to dig holes in the grass with her back legs - not vry successfully. It may be that she is hosting eggs and she is looking for the best place to lay them. Obviously there isn't an easy way of knowing if this is the case for sure (barring an x-ray) and so I have set up a section of her indoor enclosure with loose soil - with a little hill section. Is there anything else I should be considering - conditions wise to give her the best environment, if she has eggs, in which to lay her eggs? At the moment the soil section (in a carton about 50cm, by 25cm long and 8cm deep) is away from the main tortoise lamp in the cooler section of their enclosure and only the female is able to access the enclosure (as Grace, the male, is about half her size).

Many thanks in anticipation for your responses.

- Alberts owner

mine like warm damp soil to lay in.mine havent layed outside yet as i think its to cold up here for them

bruce

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hi Alberts owner,
Maybe you could look through the hermann tortoise section at similar topics for further information. Topics about 'Pregnancy','Nesting' or 'Eggs' would be a good place to start. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thanks all for the advice. I did suspect that I may need a deeper container with the soil. She hasn't excavated much so I will have to play around with the texture of the soil more - as well as making the pit deeper and it being reasonably hot.

#8 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE EGG LAYING BUT I DO LOVE THE NAME GRACE THE MAN, SOUNDS LOADS BETTER THAN STAN THE MAN :lol: :lol: :lol: ....TIGGY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users