beak issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

is it ok to trim or file beaks?

and if so how is the best way of going about it?

Alfies is long on one side and it has now got a tear in the longer side.

he wont entertain cuttlefish and last time the vet had to do it. Ive now changed vets who is a hour drive away.... its akward to go as Id now have to wait till next weekend and the tear could go near his eye :(

Please can you advise the best way to go it?

thanks

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hi Dee,
To be honest I wouldn't do it myself. It can be awkward and you could make the tear worse. I would wait for the vet and just keep a close eye on it in the meantime. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

You can clip their beaks with nail clippers, or use an emery board to file the beak down. Or if you are brave then a small dremmel tool. It might be good to get a vet to show you how to do this, or an experienced keeper:0)

#4 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

seriously Sandy,
how am I sposed to do it?

Id have to open his mouth wouldnt i?

he has taken to nicking the dogs bone... ok, its not ideal, him being a veggie BUT think this could help couldnt it?
I wouldnt feed him but he has claimed one of her bones as his own, puts one of his paws over it as he chomps too... we took it off him the other day BUt he found it again. he has no interest in cuttlefish, will he be ok with a bone?

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

will he be ok with a bone?

Some torts prefer a bone to chomp on. I know my tortoise has in the past. They get calcium from it and it keeps their beak trim. So,I think it would be OK Dee.
Best of luck
Freddy

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

If your tortoise is biting bones, then maybe he/she is in need of calcium. In the wild tortoises have been known to eat a rotting carcase, mainly for the bones.

Clipping a tortoises beak is really a two person job, one to keep their mouths open, and the other to clip or file down with a nail file.

Id have to open his mouth wouldnt i?

he has taken to nicking the dogs bone... ok, its not ideal, him being a veggie BUT think this could help couldnt it?
I wouldnt feed him but he has claimed one of her bones as his own, puts one of his paws over it as he chomps too... we took it off him the other day BUt he found it again. he has no interest in cuttlefish, will he be ok with a bone?
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users