fridge again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

:blush: ive had my fridge on for 24 hours to see how cold it gets. the tempriture dropped to 12, is this cold enough for hibinating or do torts need to be colder.....tiggy :rolleyes:

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi Tiggy,

Torty needs to be hibernated at between 3C & 7C, this is why a fridge is ideal for regulating temperature. Metabolism starts to work at 8C but this is not warm enough for the whole process to complete and is therefore dangerous for torty.

Paula x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

Hi Tiggy,
According to the tortoise trust site ideal hibernation temps are between 4 & 6 degrees celsius. A torts metabolism is not fully activated until temps of 10 degrees celsius are reached. When this happens a tortoise wakes up and needs to be taken out of hibernation.
I'm not too sure if more general temps of 8 degrees are in fact dangerous for torts. My tort manages just fine at these levels using the box method. However, as Paula says, consistent temps of 8 degrees using the fridge method would leave the metabolism process incomplete either way, and could be a problem. Personally, I have no experience using the fridge method and would have little reason to doubt what Paula says. So, I think it would be wise to follow her advice. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hi guys,

The reason 8C is dangerous for the torts is a little complicated which is why I didn't dare go into detail incase my interpretation of what happens is not quite correct... but here goes, as I understand it. :wacko:

At 8C metabolism will kick in and torty will try and reduce fatty deposits, 8C is too low for the whole process to complete. Ketone bodies are formed in the liver which then cause acid poisoning and can lead to death.

Paula x

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

That's very interesting Paula. I have certainly learned something new today. I suppose this doesn't really affect Billiejo as temps usually fluctuate using the box method so she probably manages to burn off the fatty deposits. Anyway, many thanks for sharing Paula. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users