- - - - -

please identify Bertie!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aardvark_*

Guest_Aardvark_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

We have taken in Bertie, an approx. 3 y o tort who'd spent his life to date in a vivarium. We were told he was a leopard, but are having doubts. Any experts who can confirm an ID please?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Bertie looks like a Horsfield to me.

Bruce

and by the looks of her she is well over grown for her age

#3 Guest_Aardvark_*

Guest_Aardvark_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Bruce

I read up a bit on Horsfields and yes that looks good, Bertie only has 4 toes which fits the bill. We think he is a he, because he keeps trying to mount our two lady Hermanns, and I have read that his behaviour of biting at their head and legs and sticking his neck out is typical too. But they are not supposed to be sexually mature till about 7 - 10 years? How old do you reckon he is likely to be?

We don't think he must have been fed too badly, as there is no doming on the scutes, but he does have quite a flattish shape for a tort.

Also when we got Bertie he had like a skin covering most of his scutes. This has gradually started to drop off, with healthy looking scutes underneath. Any ideas what this might be, and is it ok to pick it off, or just leave it to do whatever naturally?

Lyn & Ed

#4 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

well i think that this tortoise is a bit deformed, did it have access to a UV light in the viv? it should not be in with hermann tortoises. i do think it is a female. i dont know why it is mating the other torts but female hermanns try to mate other females when they are gravid. i dont know wot happens when two species are mixed,i know horsfeilds are more aggresive than hermann and it could be a dominance thing. if i was u i would split them up.

Bruce

#5 Guest_Aardvark_*

Guest_Aardvark_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

Bertie came complete with his wooden box viv, it had a UV strip inside as well as a sun lamp.

As to age, all we knew is what we were told, but then we were told before he arrived that he was a Leopard <_< !
As of today he is 1365g and plastron length is about 18.5 cm. Anyone base a guesstimate of age on that?

Been looking at a lot of sites and images this morning and don't think he's deformed, looks pretty normal for a Horsfield so far as we can see. What makes you think that?

I keep saying "he", here is a closeup which may help. Based on the cloacal opening being so far away from plastron it looks male but the tail doesn't look long and doesn't seem to have any horn at the tip, so maybe its Bertha

Posted Image

#6 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

Bertie came complete with his wooden box viv, it had a UV strip inside as well as a sun lamp.

As to age, all we knew is what we were told, but then we were told before he arrived that he was a Leopard <_< !
As of today he is 1365g and plastron length is about 18.5 cm. Anyone base a guesstimate of age on that?

Been looking at a lot of sites and images this morning and don't think he's deformed, looks pretty normal for a Horsfield so far as we can see. What makes you think that?

I keep saying "he", here is a closeup which may help. Based on the cloacal opening being so far away from plastron it looks male but the tail doesn't look long and doesn't seem to have any horn at the tip, so maybe its Bertha

Posted Image

hi in the first pic she looks like shes a little flat at the back and scutes seem not right on the back but could be just the way it looks in the pic

i could not guestimate an age as not sure on the growth of horsfeils

i still go for female though so u might have a bertha!!!!!

bruce

#7 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

I am with Bruce, Female horsfield!! Can we have a lovely side pic of her. :wub:

#8 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Hello
Look's like a female horsefield, i have three horsefields,my male is eight and he weighs 480 g,my female is five she weighs 407g and my rehomed female tort five or six weighs 800 g,your tort is very large she may be alot older than what you think.Post some more pictures.
Jayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users