Worried shell won't eat

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

My girl Shell woke up from hibernation a few weeks ago and won't eat. She has a new basking lamp, otherwise she has the same set up as previous years so I know nothing is wrong with regards housing and care. Her eyes are shiny and no runny nose..... I have checked for mites and other nasties and I cant see anything obvious. She gets a warm bath everyday for at least 30mins two baths at a weekend. I have tried tempting her with everything possible.... Even a strawberry today as she loved them last year. Am I worrying too much. I weighed her last week and this week she has lost 6 gms.... She is 6 years old. Anyone have any ideas. Thinking a vet trip as I feel very anxious about her

#2 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

hi stellanna, im not sure what you need to do but im sure someone will be along shortly with advice. i know i worry about my torts.you could try making sure she is warm enough that could start her eating. im sure someone will be with you soon with more tips....tiggy

#3 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thank you. I lost one of my tortoises to pneumonia about a month ago so not feeling confident and probably watching her every move is not a great idea x x

#4 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

thats more of a worry. do you think this tort is looking the same or was that something different. terrypins has just been on lin and im sure he would have more idea than me. keep your chin up and good luck....tiggy

#5 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

Too was eating well on Saturday, was lathrgic on Sunday and I took her to the vets on Monday..... She died on Tuesday.... Pneumonia .... Shell looks ok.. Just not eating and not very active

#6 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

so is this tort the same or is she just not eating. do s she seem well in herself, moving around, going under the heat lamp, has she been drinking. i remember reading that as long as they are drinking they can go without food for a while. this is sods law that there is noone around when you need advice....tiggy

#7 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Just not eating and not walking around as much. She goes under her lamp and away from it when she has had enough.... She looks to be drinking plenty when in her bath. There has been no poo for days.... But she had a small wee today. She seems warm enough, she lays with her arms, legs, and head out.

#8 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

i got some reptoboost to put in the water if they are not eating very well. you could try putting some nutrobol in tepid water and giving her a bath in that, see if she has a drink and at least she getting some vitimins into her self.....tiggy

#9 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

Will get some and try.... Certainly off to the vets to get her checked over tomorrow. Thank you

#10 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

good luck i hope everything is well and we are just panicing.....tiggy.ps keep an eye on this post someone is bound to come on soon.. god luck

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hi Stellanne,
I am in the same predicament. My tort hasn't eaten very much since she came out of hibernation. I am not too sure whether it is temperature related as she is outdoors most of the time and it hasn't been very warm here over the past few weeks. We have also moved house so her surroundings are different and she is probably taking a while to get used to her new environment. I also took her out of hibernation a month early so I don't know if this has upset her system. She is drinking water but is not very active. As Tiggy says as long as torts are drinking water they can usually go without food for weeks. Some torts can take longer to eat after hibernation as there system slowly gets back to normal. But if every thing in her environment is the same and if she is normally active and eating by now then I think a trip to the vet may be needed. She may require a little booster to get her going.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#12 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

Thanks Freddy that is reassuring have decided to have the morning off work and take her to the vets to get her checked out. Just made her breakfast of pansy leaves dandilion romaine young horseradish leaves and for the first tine a bit of butternut squash. She is looking at it but not made any moves to eat it yet.

#13 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hi Stellanne,

I think you are doing the right thing having her checked over by the vet, even if it is just for peace of mind.
Fingers crossed for your little lady tomorrow, please let us know how she gets on. :wub:

Paula x

#14 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

Vet gave her a very positive check up then squeezed her throat a little.... Clear fluid from her nose..... She has an infection poor her... She has had an antibiotic injection and we are to keep her mega warm and bath her twice a day. I have done that with some nutrobal as tiggy suggested. She dipped her head in and drank. Opened her mouth and yawned last night too. Up early this morning to bath her before I go to work. She seems much more lively.

#15 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

You have to be careful that your tortoises are not anorexic. Some tortoises that have a long hibernation, and are not allowed to get up gradually, do get anorexic. And can take a long time before they start to eat. Keeping they warm during the day helps and also critical care or reptiboost can help encourage eating. Also bathing your tortoises regularly every day.
If they are not eating after a few weeks, then a visit to a tortoise vet would be good.

#16 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

:rolleyes: hi stellanna, im glad that the vet gave you a little bit of good news. im keeping my fingers crossed that all is fine. good luck with your baby.....tiggy :)

#17 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

She seems much happier today. Luckily my partner had to come home from work with a bad back problem so has been able to bath and monitor her during the day. She is in a warm bath now..... But she is squeaking every now and again. Is this normal? She is drinking but still not eating. Back at the vets tomorrow for a progress report. I am feeling much more positive at the moment x x

#18 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

stellanna, i never heard my girls make a noise but junior dos when hes mating. someone will be along shortly to tell you if this is normal...tiggy

#19 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

You have to be careful that your tortoises are not anorexic. Some tortoises that have a long hibernation, and are not allowed to get up gradually, do get anorexic. And can take a long time before they start to eat. Keeping they warm during the day helps and also critical care or reptiboost can help encourage eating. Also bathing your tortoises regularly every day.
If they are not eating after a few weeks, then a visit to a tortoise vet would be good.

Hi Sandy,
I have read about this and it can be true of long hibernations. Billiejo normally starts eating 3-4 weeks after hibernation. This has been the case for the past 30 years. This year she seems to have taken longer. Things have been different for her and I think a combination of these factors have contributed. I will take your advice and keep her indoors and warm when the weather isn't good and try some reptiboost. Many thanks for your help.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#20 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

Vet gave her a very positive check up then squeezed her throat a little.... Clear fluid from her nose..... She has an infection poor her... She has had an antibiotic injection and we are to keep her mega warm and bath her twice a day. I have done that with some nutrobal as tiggy suggested. She dipped her head in and drank. Opened her mouth and yawned last night too. Up early this morning to bath her before I go to work. She seems much more lively.

Hi Stellanne,
I'm glad to hear the vet was able to help Shell.There is no substitute for a complete check-up by a professional. Often they find things that are not so obvious to you or I. Hope Shell makes a speedy recovery. Thanks for keeping us updated. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users