my eggs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

my eggs are 42 days today and i want to get ready in the hope that they will hatch. can anyone tell me if i leave the eggs in the incubator when they have pipped...do i keep the babies in the incubator until the egg sack dries up,and if i do , do i keep them on vermiculite.all of these questions are just incase they do hatch this time........keeping my fingers crossed.........tiggy :lol:

#2 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi Tiggy

I remember asking this question. I left mine in the incubator until they were completely out of the egg and staggering around, then put them straight into a shallow dish of water for a drink then under their lamp...

I read on another website that some people then feed the hatchling the egg straight away so they can eat the shell and the remaining fluid in it??? I didn't think they would be able to eat it?? May be worth asking if this is the case..

not long now....
Jeanette x

#3 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

thank you for that jeanette, when you put them under there lamp did you put them onto top soil or on vamiculite?...tiggy

#4 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

I put mine onto some clean kitchen roll straight away until they dried out a bit then i left them to wander onto the soil themselves. I had some soft weeds torn up small for them and a couple of mine ate after just a couple of minutes.
Are you checking them often? I checked mine at least twice a day and the one day I didn't look in the morning I looked before i went to bed and all 4 had pipped!!! I had to leave them in there all night and 2 were virtually out by morning.. the other 2 came out within an hour.

It was sooo exciting watching them hatch and one of mine had an egg sac hanging from her tummy and was still folded in half when she emerged.. That was scarey but i popped her in a tub on greaseproof paper to stop the egg sac sticking and a couple of hours later she was fine and had straightened up..

I think mine hatched after 50 days so this time next week you may be a granny!!! I had to call in sick at work because they took up all my attention... so be prepared..

Jeanette x

#5 Grafyynya

Grafyynya

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 AM

it just means that they havent been fertilised and/or they are getting fungus. Remove the white eggs quickly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users