Jump to content

- - - - -

Buttercup flowers

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

As everyone will be aware I am experiencing a great difficulty getting Shell to eat anything. Today I have her in the sun and to my delight she has nibbled a buttercup flower...... Then to my horror I discover some say ( in the best Jeremy Clarkson fashion) some say buttercups are toxic to tortoises...... Then some say they are ok for them to eat. What is the opinion of forum members..... I would rather she not eat than poison herself!!!

#2 Guest_tiggy_*

  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

hi stellanna, ive always been told that buttercups are toxic to torts. i dont let mine eat them at all.if any of mine are off there food i buy little gem and give it a good dusting with nutrobol and lime stone flour. this way they are getting vitamins and something they like.....tiggy

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

Once I read something is toxic I just avoid it like the plague! :rolleyes:

I don't offer my torts buttercups.

Paula x

#4 Guest_Stellanne_*

  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:36 AM

This one flowered under her outdoor run.... And she chomped the flower as she passed!! Of all the things for her to do when there are plenty of other yummy weeds to tempt her!!! I will explain to her about poisonous plants x x x thanks x hugs x x

#5 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

i dont feed them but wen they have the run of the garden they go mad for them all the time.one or two wont do any harm but wud not give it to them as food


#6 Guest_Stellanne_*

  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Bruce.... I feel better now!!! Been to the vets tonight and got a two week appointment now. Shell is getting better x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users