Shell still on hunger strike

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Shell is not eating.... Still.... Don't know how many weeks this is. Everytime she starts to eat she manages about three bites and then stops. She is gaining weight..... But I don't know how. I bath her in the morning before school with reptoboost in her water..... But she won't have a drink until the clean rinse water. I bath her when I get home with nurobal in the water, she drinks that. At weekends I bath her in plain water at lunchtime and she drinks. I cannot explain the lengths I have gone to tempt her.... I have even set her indoor pen with weeds etc. She is out on the lawn now amongst the weeds but nothing is taking her fancy. Really struggling for ideas now. When I do bath her she struggles to poo but always manages a bit!! Any advice before I go insane with worry x x hugs x

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

Hi Stellanne,
Sorry to hear Shell's appetite is still poorly. She must of had a right old infection, hence the reason why she is taking so long to fully recover. As long as she is eating something and putting on weight that is good. If it where me I would start hand feeding her with some treats just to get some food inside of her. You will need to persist with this for however long it takes. Usually feeding around midday is the best time. Do this everyday and I'm sure you will see some improvement. If not then a visit to the vet for a progress report may be required. It's good that she is receiving vitamins and minerals but she also needs some nourishment. Keep persisting with her and try not to worry, things will eventually get better. Take care Stellanne.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Hi Freddy, thanks for the reply, I will try handfeeding her again. It was very hit and miss before and I haven't tried it seriously for a couple weeks. She did have a very bad infection..... She lost 75gms in weight before she began to turn the corner so I know getting better will take time. X x hugs x

#4 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

I hope she gets her appetite back again soon... Cola would do anything for the occasional blueberry!! does she have any naughty treats she loves?

Jeanette x

#5 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

hi stellanna, i tempted junior with t rex dry formula. i know it not the best thing to feed torts on but i would have done anything to get him to eat. i soaked it in warm water and it smells good. junior only has this as a treat, hes now eating well but i still give him a little a couple of times a week. he didnt start eating well until he was pooing, so perhaps that something to think about!!!!.....tiggy

#6 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

She likes tomato..... The big beef ones that are juicy and will have a couple of bites before she wanders away.... Other than that she has always enjoyed weeds..... I will try your idea Tiggy.... off to the pet shop for me this morning x x

#7 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

Attached File  family and me 104.jpg   1.51MB   21 downloadsi posted a few weeks ago that my tort georgie wasnt eating,he did start to eat again but now he has stopped again,i dont think there is anything wrong with him but i did say he had started eating small stones so cleard those away,also he isnt going to the toilet agian,i bath him every day and he likes that but im wondering if he has a small stone lodged somwhere.....any ideas .....he is 8 years old.Posted ImagePosted ImageAttached File  family and me 234.jpg   1.51MB   17 downloads

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

Attached File  family and me 104.jpg   1.51MB   21 downloadsi posted a few weeks ago that my tort georgie wasnt eating,he did start to eat again but now he has stopped again,i dont think there is anything wrong with him but i did say he had started eating small stones so cleard those away,also he isnt going to the toilet agian,i bath him every day and he likes that but im wondering if he has a small stone lodged somwhere.....any ideas .....he is 8 years old.Posted ImagePosted ImageAttached File  family and me 234.jpg   1.51MB   17 downloads

Hi Jackie,
Georgie not going to the toilet could be down to not eating. If you suspect that a stone is lodged inside of him then he may need an x-ray. Otherwise there could be a number of reasons why he is not eating. It might be wise to have him checked over by a vet. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

Hello jackie, Freddy is right, there can be a number of reasons why Georgie is not eating and you should go to see a vet. Shell had an infection which wasn't apparent at the time when I started to get concerned she wasn't eating. We know torts can go a while without eating, but after a while your instincts begin to wonder if it could be something more. Go and bother your vet, he/she won't mind if Georgie is just resting but could catch an illness before it does harm x x hugs x x

#10 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hello jackie, Freddy is right, there can be a number of reasons why Georgie is not eating and you should go to see a vet. Shell had an infection which wasn't apparent at the time when I started to get concerned she wasn't eating. We know torts can go a while without eating, but after a while your instincts begin to wonder if it could be something more. Go and bother your vet, he/she won't mind if Georgie is just resting but could catch an illness before it does harm x x hugs x x

o k thank for the advice every one,iv gien him 2 baths today,still not going toilet but he has eaten a little lettice and a small amount of pellet food soaked in warm water so i will give it another day if no better i will take him to the vet. Posted Image xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users