New eggs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

After waiting quite a while and not knowing for sure if shelly was pregnant she finally laid 5 eggs this morning was quite shocked to see her digging a nest this morning. After she finished laying and covering the soil I put her in a warm bath then got the eggs out. I have put them in the incubator at 32c and humidity at 75% hope this is correct. :-)

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

Fantastic news! You must keep us posted. I haven't any experience with eggs yet but I know lots of others here have and I'm sure Bruce or someone else will be along shortly.

#3 Guest_paulb_*

Guest_paulb_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi Sam

Great news and you are doing everything spot on,The hard bit now is to try and leave them alone (not easy with your first eggs)

Good luck

Paul

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

great news,keeping fingers crossed for you,hope they are all fertile,keep us posted.
Jayne

#5 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

HI SAM S, CONGRATULATIOS ON YOUR EGGS, I HOPE THEY ARE FERTILE. IVE GOT EGGS AND IT IS HARD NOT TO KEEP LOOKING AT THEM. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS.....TIGGY

#6 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

hi ,congratulations on the eggs i hope they are fertile.can i ask what is the normal weight and scl of your female and do you know the weight of the eggs.i ask because you want to know the best temperature and humidity i cant really say what you have is ideal without knowing this and of course the subspecies of your tortoise.while 32c is often quoted for hermans tortoises ,some subspecies or young individuals lay smaller eggs so 32c can be risky and it is often safer to reduce the temperature slightly.
terry

#7 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Hi everyone thanks for the replys really exciting.
When I weighed her yesterday she was roughly 1115 grams after she layed the eggs I weighed her and she is 1052 grams so I would say the eggs are roughly 10- 12 grams each. She is hermann boettgeri and the scl lengh is about 18cm long she is 8 years old. Hope this helps.

Sam

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi Sam,
Congratulations on the eggs. It must be so exciting. Best of luck with them! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Congratulations Sam and well done Shelly! :wub:
More tiny footsteps to get excited about!

Paula x

#10 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hi everyone thanks for the replys really exciting.
When I weighed her yesterday she was roughly 1115 grams after she layed the eggs I weighed her and she is 1052 grams so I would say the eggs are roughly 10- 12 grams each. She is hermann boettgeri and the scl lengh is about 18cm long she is 8 years old. Hope this helps.

Sam

thanks for the info she certainly seems big enough although i dont think her hatchlings are likely to go much above 10g on hatching,with smaller eggs it is wise to keep the temperature down slightly and not risk going above 31.5c with my second generation females i incubate between 30.5c and 31.5c.im not saying you will get problems but at the lower temperature there is less chance of deformities and you should see a better hatch rate.75% humidity should be fine just try not to let it drop to low before you top up the water tray because in the later stages a sudden increase in humidity can cause them to hatch early often with large yolksacs remaining.her weight to length ratio is within the safe range according to the jacksons ratio(http://www.tortoise-...s-ratio-t8.html) but you dont want it to drop any lower so ensure she is kept well hydrated this may help with her weight.

terry

#11 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hi Terry thanks for the info I will lower the temp a bit in the incubator just to be on the safe side. With the humidity the incubator I have is a juragon pro i just set the temp and humidity and it keeps it stable throughout the incubation all that I need to do is fill the water tank up once a week or so hopefully it's as reliable as they say it is all looks goosed so far tho.
I thought shelly was a bit light she has fresh water available and I feed her all weed diet hopefully she puts on
a bit of weight before hibernation as do want to hibernate
her this year.

Sam

#12 Guest_Lynne_*

Guest_Lynne_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Aww, great news. Good luck with the eggs.

What area of London do you live? just wondering incase your thinking of selling when hatched, lol :)

I'm keen aint I? lol :P

#13 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hi Lynne,

I am thinking of selling 4 of them as just don't have the space to keep my 3 big ones and 5 baby's lol I am just gonna keep 1 of them as it's my first batch.
I live in crystal palace south east London near Croydon If your interested give me message to my email sam.skinner1986@hotmail.co.uk

Sam x

#14 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

hi ,im sure she will be fine now and gain a little more weight before hibernation time.good luck with the eggs. i hope all goes well for you.if i can help in any way just say.

terry

#15 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

Here are some pics f Shelly laying the eggs and the eggs in the Incubator. :)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users