Hibernation - first time

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hi all,

We will be hibernating our one year old hermann for the first time this year and have decided to go with the fridge method. I came across the Exo Terra incubator at Surrey Pet Supplies online (http://www.surreypet...-incubator.html) which states that it is ideal for hibernating as well as incubating eggs.

Has anyone used this for hibernating their tortoise before? It doesn't mention anything about whether the tank allows air in , whcih is obviously crucial for hibernation.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Beth

#2 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

HI BETH. I HAVE THIS INCUBATOR AND AM THINKING OF HIBERNATING MY TORTS THIS WINTER. IM NOT SURE ABOUT HOW TO GO ABOUT IT THE SAME AS YOU.WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT THE INCUBATOR BLOWS AIR IN TO KEEP THE TEMPRITURE EVEN. I WILL FOLLOW THIS POST FOR INFO ON HIBERNATING.........TIGGY

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'm really interested in this idea tho' I don't know anyone that has used that for hibernation. In the past I used a mini fridge meant to put beer in and although I did manage with it I didn't find it ideal. When the house was warm the mini frideg struggled to keep the temperature low enough.

If the Incubator can keep a steady temp then its worth considering.

When it is in hibernation a tortoise only requires a fraction of the oxygen that they use when they are active, and they don't use a huge amount anyway. If the Incubator didn't allow air in we could just open the door daily for a minute of two.

I'll see if I can find anyone that's used this for hibernating and let you know.

#4 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

hi ozric, i have been given a mini fridge and thought about hibernating one of my torts in it but i didnt think that it got cold enough.was your ok? and did you put the tort in a box then into the fridge. i also have a incubator that i want to hibernat one of my torts in but not sure how.surry pets web page says that it can be used for hibernation but didnt say how.........tiggy

#5 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hi I am thinking of using that type of fridge for my torts too. Here is a video I found on YouTube of someone showing you how to use it.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=aw4Vs3-PiSw

Sam :-)

#6 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

HI BETH. I HAVE THIS INCUBATOR AND AM THINKING OF HIBERNATING MY TORTS THIS WINTER. IM NOT SURE ABOUT HOW TO GO ABOUT IT THE SAME AS YOU.WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT THE INCUBATOR BLOWS AIR IN TO KEEP THE TEMPRITURE EVEN. I WILL FOLLOW THIS POST FOR INFO ON HIBERNATING.........TIGGY

i had a fan asisted incubator and never hatched anything in it had a few dead hatchlings in the eggs though.i would never use one again.somthing to do with the air flow over the eggs

bruce

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

The mini fridge was a Stella Beer one and it was adequate but I did get stressed with it. When the central heating was on full blast the poor fridge struggled to maintain the right temperature. Of course I turned the heating off but these other people that live in this house wanted it back on!! :angry2: I had to admit it was -15C outside and it was christmas day and the house was full of elderly people and small children but never mind that, I'm trying to keep these hibernating torts at 6 degrees. :blink: At that point I froze some bags of ice and added them to the minifridge to bring the temperature down.

Another issue was the fridge seemed to be at a different temp in different parts of it. This can be true of any fridge, but I think it was worse in the mini one.

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

With regard to the incubator. I think as Ozric says if it has a door or other opening to allow air in for a few minutes a day and the temps are suitable then it should be fine. It would also be good to hear how others who use the same incubator for hibernation manage. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

Tried asking around a bit and didn't find anyone who had used this product for hibernation. A couple of people said its an OK incubator but you need to check the temperature with a separate thermometer because its not always accurate.

Some one said its similar to the Herp Nursery which is said to cost less but has less shelves than this one.

I have an idea that any device that aims to cool down as well as heat up is maybe going to be less good at doing these things than a device that does either one or the other.

Sorry not much help. But thought I would post anyway! :rolleyes:

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

I have an idea that any device that aims to cool down as well as heat up is maybe going to be less good at doing these things than a device that does either one or the other.

I would agree. If the temps in this unit are anyway unreliable then it shouldn't be used.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#11 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

Thanks to everyone for sharing their advice/tips/previous experiences.

I have spoke to a few people who have successfully used this incubator for incubating eggs, and that it has worked well in terms of maintaining the desired temperature. So if the outside temperature rises it will adjust accordingly. We are not planning to use it for incubation, only hibernation.

I suppose there are pros and cons to most hibernation methods and it just goes to show how careful you have to be with the temperatures!

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hi Beth,
Maybe you could test the incubator at hibernation temps to see how it performs. If you are happy with it then by all means use it. Best of luck. ;)
Freddy :D

#13 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

Beth I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with it. Please let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users