Hermann not eating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Colin/wendy_*

Guest_Colin/wendy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

First of all can i thank you all for a very helpful forum, im quite new to this, i have a 2 year old Hermann called Romeo, my girl friend bought him with a vivarium which i soon got rid of and made a tortoise table, i have a basking temp of about 40 and a cool spot of about 20.
He gets fed bits of apple and different types of weeds that i have grown from seeds, he had been eating up to about 2 days ago but now all he seems to do is sleep, i wake in in the morning and wake him when i come home, he bask for about 30mins then bury him self again is this normal
I have inc pic of Attached File  IMG_3624.JPG   1.88MB   86 downloads indoor table where you can just see him in the corner

Thanks Colin

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hi Colin,
Your upper temps of 40 degrees are too hot. I would lower them to around 32-34 degrees. This is probably why your tort is burying himself. He may also be dehydrated and needs regular bathing. This would help his appetite and make him more active. Also, have you brought him to a vet for a health check. This is always wise with a new tortoise. Anyway Colin, I hope some of these suggestions help. Hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hi Colin

Welcome to the wonderful world of tortoise keeping and believe me you will learn something new every day and this is just the place to help you out, everyone on here are really friendly and will offer advice and support to ensure Romeo (love the name by the way) lives a good, healthy and long life.

How long have you had him?

Freddy has covered alot of importance information already but just to add a couple of things.. It is great you got him straight out of the viv but sometimes Torts get very confused if they are in anything that they can see through.. eg his plastic box/table. They are a bit like moths and will continually think they can get out..so maybe a something made of wood may be better eventually..

When they are housed indoors they do need daily baths in warm/tepid water for about 15/20 mins or whenever they let you know they have had enough, this ensures they drink well and gives them a good chance of doing a wee and poo (they love doing this in water). It should be deep enough to come over their tail and cover their legs..

Do you know what Romeo was fed on before you got him? Sometimes they don't accept change well so a gradual change is sometimes best, also fruit shouldn't really be given to them often if at all as it doesn't really agree with them.. if you do get stuck maybe try tempting him with some Romaine lettuce or Florette crisy salad, but weeds and flowers are the best option..

It may feel that all this advice appears critical which i really hope you don't think as just the fact you have joined this forum shows you will love and care for Romeo and will want whats best for him..

We do love photo's of our tort friends so get Romeo to pose for you and share some with us.

Regards
Jeanette

#4 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hello Colin/Wendy, my trials with Shell are well documented over the past few months. A recent discovery is that she is much better outside than indoors. The last two days I have kept het indoors as the weather had been much cooler and I thought as she has been poorly 'keep her warm'. Her behaviour has been much as you describe. Today I have placed her outside and she has grazed all day. Can you get your tort outside.... X x x hugs x x ps I am no expert but think anything is worth a try as torts are like humans..... Very different x x

#5 Guest_Lynne_*

Guest_Lynne_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hi, I have two hermanns and I have their hot end between 30c to 32c. Their uv/heat lamp comes on at 7am and they both are up by 7.30 everyday, they eat their weeds then they wonder around and bask untill about 12pm. They then have a nap, :) then I bath them at about 4pm after that they have more food and go to bed at about 7pm when their light goes off.

They are even more active when weather permitts them to go outside.

I definately would agree that 40c is too hot.

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Just to add that its just a couple of days...I wouldnt be too worried. Sometimes they are less active than others. Do you have z water dish? Sorry if you already do, but it is sometimes still said that they don't need water, when of course they do.

I think your torts' behaviour will soon change again.

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi Colin, Wendy and Romeo,

Welcome to the forum. :D (and to tortyhood!)

Torty not eating can be lots of things, perhaps if you haven't had him long it might be an idea to take a poo sample to the vet for worm testing? Mine usually go after a warm under the lamp and a lukewarm bath!

Paula x

#8 Guest_PennyTort_*

Guest_PennyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hi Colin

Welcome, I hope that he starts eating soon. I am a new owner, since March this year, and I have found everyone's advice on the forum so useful. ^_^

Pennytort

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users