Egg

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Shell has laid an egg this morning! Quite unexpectedly! We are away, and Sea and Shell are staying with their aunty. I have no idea what to do should any further eggs be laid, could someone please offer some advice? The first egg hasn't survived, as Shell stood on it and crushed it (quite by accident)! Is it likely that there will be more eggs to come? What do we need to have ready, and what do we do? Many thanks in advance, Cheryl.

#2 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

hi you need to have enough depth of soil for a nesting site .this means the soil needs to be about as deep as your tortoise is long.if she is outdoors then just an area preferably where the sun can warm it just dig up the general area with a spade and pat it back down with the back of the spade so it is firm enough and wont collapse when she is digging.depnding on size and subspecies of your tortoise you can normally expect at least 3 eggs in a clutch some larger animals can lay up to a dozen.my hermans females lay 2 clutches most years and rarely a third one.should you get to the stage when you are incubating please contact me i will try to help.

terry

#3 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

hi you need to have enough depth of soil for a nesting site .this means the soil needs to be about as deep as your tortoise is long.if she is outdoors then just an area preferably where the sun can warm it just dig up the general area with a spade and pat it back down with the back of the spade so it is firm enough and wont collapse when she is digging.depnding on size and subspecies of your tortoise you can normally expect at least 3 eggs in a clutch some larger animals can lay up to a dozen.my hermans females lay 2 clutches most years and rarely a third one.should you get to the stage when you are incubating please contact me i will try to help.

terry

#4 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for your help and advice. How will I know when/if to incubate the eggs?
Is there any way to tell if the eggs are fertile? Their aunty called the vets earlier, and they said that the eggs probably would be infertile. Why would this be?
Sorry, twenty questions I know, but this is quite unexpected, so I havn't looked into this as much as I should have done already.
Thanks,
Cheryl

/

#5 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

hi cheryl. its always worth trying to incubate your eggs.ive just hatched my first baby after a few attemps. i really didnt have a clue and just got by with asking for advice. try putting your eggs in an incubator at the right tenprature and humidity and you stand a chance. you could get another clutch of eggs this year, just watch out for her starting to pace up and down, then watch her to se where she lays.........tiggy

#6 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

hi again, just read your post again

if you put your eggs in the incubator you cannot tell right away if they are fertile.

i candled mine at about 20 days and could see veins, so i thought i had a chance of getting a baby.

best thing is to take it one step at a time....incubator...candle....exited or sad!!!!!!!

hope this helps. but remember there is always someone to help you on the forum.....tiggy

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hi. If you have more eggs and are not ready immediately to incubate them you can keep them at room temperature for a few days and they will not be harmed by this. But of course if you want to incubate your eggs you will need to get prepared.

Tortoises do sometimes lay infertile eggs. But if the tortoise has been around male, even a long time ago, they may be fertile.

I've never had any eggs and Terry is really an expert on this. Bruce also has experience with eggs and incubating them.

If you get more eggs and want to incubate them you need to mark the top with a pencil and remove them from the enclosure. The tortoise is often very careful laying the eggs but as soon as it has done so seems not to care about the eggs one bit.

When tortoises are producing eggs they often need more calcium in their diet.

Good luck and please do let us know what happens.

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Their aunty called the vets earlier, and they said that the eggs probably would be infertile. Why would this be?

Hi Cheryl,
I would guess....
Maybe the female tortoise has not been in contact with a mature male. In this case a female can sometimes lay infertile eggs. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hi Cheryl,
I would guess....
Maybe the female tortoise has not been in contact with a mature male. In this case a female can sometimes lay infertile eggs. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Our other tort is a male, so there is always a chance they could be fertile then (they were supposed to be both female!)
I've been a bit niave I think!
I guess the first thing to do is to get prepared for any more deliveries...

Thanks again

Cheryl

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

Hi Cheryl,
Yes, there is always a chance that the eggs could be fertile if your male and female have mated.
There are others here on the forum with more experience of eggs than me. I'm sure they will be able to help should you have any further questions. Best of luck! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#12 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

hi Cheryl sorry for the slow response ,i dont come on this forum as often as i should.i have been breeding hermans tortoises for over 20 years and have been hatching eggs laid by tortoises i hatched myself for several years now.the sooner you get the eggs into an incubator the better.once they start to develop they are very easily damaged if rotated or disturbed in any way.if you must wait more then a few hours before moving them into an incubator then be sure to mark the tops with a soft pencil so they arent rotated and handle them very carefully.once they are in the incubator allow them at least a week before candling.personally i dont think candling is a good idea unless you know what you are looking for .it is just an unneccessary risk and i wouldnt handle them at all until the very late stages.if i can help or advise in any way i am more than happy for you to contact me right the way through incubation.i hope you are successful and i will be needed to help with any hatchlings as well.

terry

#13 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all your help/replies.
We have had no further egg deliveries. However, now we have returned home, am busy looking at incubators.
Just incase, don't want to be caught short again!

Thanks again,
Cheryl, Sea and Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users