Flies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have found some tiny black flies in Shell and Petas indoor home. I keep squashing them but should they be there? The only wet area is the water dish and at the moment it is only full at bedtime x x x hugs x x

#2 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

hi stellanne, i think they are fruit flies, horrid little things. they seem to get every where in the summer.

have you got your new torts yet?.....tiggy

#3 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

No picking them up at the weekend. David has made a separate run for them.... And I collected a larger fridge from Glossop for hibernation purposes today..... think I am ready. So looking forward to having them. Shell is looking great too.... Eating loads and has found her appetite for weeds again.... Loving clover and vetch though still not enthusiastic with dandelion leaves though she nibbled a flower and seems to like it x x

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hi Stellanne,

I had problems with little black flies last year in my greenhouse. I thought they might just disappear.. :rolleyes:
They didn't! I tried organic remedies I found on the internet while the little guys were in hibernation, I ended up digging out all of the soil and replacing it.
They do breed in damp soil. If conditions aren't right for them they quickly disappear as they have a lifespan of only a couple of days.
I had the odd one or two in Hettie's indoor enclosure before she moved outside. They disappeared quickly.
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Fungus_gnat
If they don't vanish within a few days, it might be easier to replace the soil than to try and treat them?

Paula x

#5 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

Bit of a bummer if I need to replace the soil. To be fair there aren't many flies.... Just that David keeps seeing them in the house and I feel guilty. The soil is not damp on the top. Do you think I should churn it over so underneath is dry? X x x hugs xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users