- - - - -

Should i hibernate my hermanns tortoise

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fordie_*

Guest_Fordie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

I bought a 3 year old female Hermanns tortoise back in February 2005. The lady said that she hadn't hibernated her as she was too young, however after reading up about it i aint so sure what to do for the best as several websites say that she should hibernate, but i would hate to lose her, i have an added problem that i have never weighed her since i got her, she eats well and sheds her skin and seems to have grown abit since i got her and so seems healthy, but i can't say how much weight she has put on or how much she has grown exactly. Any advice would be really appreciated Thanks

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:48 PM

A tortoise is biologically programmed to hibernate, so it should be allowed to do this in captivity as long as it is healthy, and yours seems to be. Start weighing your tort each month and record it. Go to www.tortoisetrust.org for help and advice on hibernation.

#3 Guest_ScoobyDoo_*

Guest_ScoobyDoo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:15 AM

Hi.

I have the same question really, bought 2 Hermann's on the 10th Sept 2005 - it says they were born in 2003 so they are only 2 years old I guess, do we need to hibernate them and for how long? Also do I put them in a shed or the fridge (I have no brick outbuildings) ...

Regards
Mark & Julia.

ps. My Birman cat is keeping guard on them - loves to sleep on top of the Vivarium lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users