Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hi I am thinking of getting Exo terra incubator with the cooling function for hibernating tortoises has anyone used this or is there a machine on the market for hibernation that anyone knows about that is good. Sam :-)

#2 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

ive got the incubator that doubles for hibernation, but im not going to use it. i want to hibernate my 3 girls this year for the first time and the incubator is not big enough.ive been looking at slim line fridges. ive seen 1 in comet for £120. it looks as if i could fit 4 or 5 torts in it so im thinking of a fridge........tiggy

#3 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi Tiggy that Is a really good idea just had a look at some on the website and it looks ideal I have 3 torts and did think the incubator one looked a bit small think I might go with that one too. One question how many days did it take for your eggs to hatch mine are on day 52 today can see the little things moving around inside but no signs of hatching as yet. :-)

#4 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

hi sam, my eggs were 64 days before hatching. my incubator temp said 31.5 but when i put a themomitor in it said 27!!!!! i did'nt know that the incubator was'nt a true reading. so that was why they were late.the first one hatched then 4 days later number 2, then another 3 days and number 3 popped out. as long as you can see them moving i would'nt worry.....tiggy :laugh:

#5 Guest_Lynne_*

Guest_Lynne_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

I need to get a small fridge for my twos hibernation ( dreading it) Does it have to be a special kind? Is there any kind I shouldn't get? And also is there a best room to put it in? I was thinking about puting it in the garage but not too sure if it might get too cold in there x

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi Lynne,
An under the counter type fridge is ideal, but you need to buy one without a freezer box at the top.
The temperature outside does affect the temperature inside the fridge.
When I was looking for one I found that in the fridge spec it gave a range of temperatures at which it should operate? But that does make things a liiittle complicated!!
That is one reason I couldnt get one of those beer fridges to stabilise.. I had it in the same room as my tumble dryer and the temperature fluctuated like mad!

Paula x

#7 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Hiya, would one of those fridges be ok in a dining room (for example)? This will be my first time of hibernating and all seems very scary!

#8 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

Why is a fridge with a freezer not advisable?? X x x hugs x x

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Why is a fridge with a freezer not advisable?? X x x hugs x x

Hi Stellanne,
I would imagine because it can affect the overall temps of the fridge! :)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#10 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

I have had a look on eBay and seen a nice small fridge that does not have a freezer box and has a good temp range, it says it is silent as it's designed for hotel rooms looks ideal for torts my 3 are all going to be hibernated in it this year. Will try get a link up of the fridge.

#11 Guest_DonnaMcD_*

Guest_DonnaMcD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

When do you need to hibernate tortoise's. I have just got 2 tortoise they are 1year old? Does any body have any good books on the subject?
DonnaMcD

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

When do you need to hibernate tortoise's. I have just got 2 tortoise they are 1year old? Does any body have any good books on the subject?
DonnaMcD

Hi Donna,
2-3 years old is plenty of time to hibernate torts. If you click on the hibernation link on the home page you will find a good guide. Hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#13 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Hi Donna,

At least you have got plenty of time to read up on hibernatiion before your little guys need to go for a 'big sleep' :D
It will also give you time to get to know them better before you decide whether to hibernate them.
Only healthy torts should be allowed to hibernate and when we first get new additions there is always sooo much to worry about! :rolleyes:
Have a look on our front page (green) and there is a guide to hibernation on there.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users