After Affects Of Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

how many people have had trouble with there torts after hibernation.? can anyone tell me the death rate in hibernation? are there any other dangers from hibernating tortoises,

sorry if this sounds morbid, but i am hibernating for the first time this year and would like to know the ins and outs!!!!! :wacko: tiggy

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hi Tiggy,
I'm not too sure of the statistics for fatalities in hibernation but If the hundreds of people who have hibernated their torts using this forum are anything to go by then it is very low. The most important way of ensuring a safe hibernation for your tort. is by following hibernation instructions to the letter. If you do this you will have no problems. Some of the dangers with hibernation include: dehydration. There is a danger of this happening when your tortoise urinates during hibernation. When this happens you need to get your tort. up. It is also important to check and record your torts weight at regular intervals during hibernation. If your tort reaches a critical weight loss of 10% of its body weight you need to get your tort. up. Another thing to watch out for especially when using the fridge method is power cuts or a change in the fridge temps. If this happens and your tort wakes up from hibernation you need to get your tort. up. Sometimes when a tort. is taken out of hibernation it can be slow and lethargic and eat very little. In this case you will need to be patient and persevere and eventually your tort will come round. Anyway Tiggy, these are some of the things to watch out for when hibernating your tort. Hibernating for the first time can seem like a daunting task but if your tortoise is healthy and you follow hibernation instructions to the letter there shouldn't be a problem. After the first successful hibernation it does get easier. As well as providing torts and their owners with a well earned rest, hibernation offers huge benefits. If you hibernate your tortoise annually you will ensure that it has a long healthy and happy life. Hibernation is the most natural thing in the world for a tortoise so there is really no need to worry in this regard . Finally, I wish you the very best of luck with your first hibernation and feel sure everything will work out just fine. Hopefully, there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Take care Tiggy.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hi
I've only gone through one hibernation so far with my tortoise, But I think the most important thing is ensuring the tortoise is healthy before putting it through hibernation.
I weigh mine every couple of weeks so I can ensure he gains weight throughout the year, and then use the jacksons ratio to ensure he is not under weight.
I've already wormed him this year ready for hibernation, last year I also had my vet check him over as it was his first hibernation.
The below link has good info on the wind down period and the hibernation itself.

http://www.tortoise-....uk/site/78.asp

I used the fridge method last year and will again this year.
Don't worry too much about it, everyone on the site will help you through it.

Robert

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hi Tiggy,
I have only a couple of hibernations under my belt.
I have used the fridge method, this worked well for my guys. Any risk will be massively reduced by only hibernating healthy torts.
You will only be hibernating your biggies wont you?

Paula x

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hello Tiggy
hibernation is always a stressful time of the year,i always keep a diary of weight checks on a monthly interval so i know how there weight has progressed.
hibernation diary week 1 no food 6 hours of heat/uv,week 2 no food 5 hours of heat/uv,week 3 no food 3 hours of heatuv
week4 no food 2 hours heatuv reducindg down to no heat/light,the last couple days move to a cooler room to get prepared for fridge or shed.Baths to be increased and in the final week bath everyday,there last bath to be the day before hibernation,hibernate
between 1c-7c ideal is 5c,when you bring out of hibernation bring to warmer temps gradually,daily baths for the first week after hibernation.
Hope this helps.
Jayne

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hi Guys,
I think it goes without saying that torts should be healthy before hibernation!That is common sense! :laugh:
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users