- - - - -

Can Tortoises Hear?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

I've been recently looking online and particularly in articles and journals.
Can tortoises hear? And are their other senses any good?

My tortoise is amazing when knowing that his food is coming, but i think that is down to timing. I give it to him at the same time everyday roughly.
He also knows when I , or others are close. Is this down to vibrations or vision? I think vibrations.

I am most interested in their hearing. Can they see well!?

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hi Micky,
Torts have ears located behind folding skin at the sides of their head. Their hearing isn't too good but they usually have no problem detecting sound vibrations. Their sense of smell is quite good and they use this to distinguish foods. They also use their eyesight to distinguish colours and shapes and although it is not great they are adept at seeing bright colours. Hope this helps. Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#3 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

im similar to freddy. yes torts can hear when im putting there food out i tell my torts" foods ready kids" the heads come popping out and everyone comes to see whats on offer.there sence of smell is good,they walk around smellig food soil rocks they walk upto each other and smell just to see who's who. i dont think that they see very well,they can see movement but im not sure that they can see thing far off.....tiggy

#4 Guest_jackiegeorgie_*

Guest_jackiegeorgie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

my tortoise georgie can hear very well,when i call him he comes to me and follows me round the garden....realy......every one thinks its great and asks me to put on a show when they visit :D

#5 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

LOL! he comes when you call?
Any chance you could video this and place it on youtube or something. I would love to see this! :o

My tortoise wouldnt have a clue if i lost my voice ha! :lol:

#6 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

I agree that they can hear.. When my female is Gravid and is very active and pacing/climbing all day, it takes her ages to settle down of an evening to go to sleep..My husband normally gets home before me and gets her out of her table to allow her to roam around. she then goes to her bed and when I get in she will stay asleep as long as I don't speak.. the second she hears my voice she's wide awake and searching for me..sounds weird i know.. but so true. she even stands on my foot and puts her leg in the air for me to pick her up,then pokes her neck right out so i kiss it..

This may all be just coincedence but I really don't think so.. or hope not. My hatchlings are even more sensitive to my voice and will come out of their hides if I poke my head right in their table and call them..

They are such fascinating creatures.. and we learn something new everyday.

Thanks
Jeanette x

#7 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

I agree Jeanette.... Michelle and Peta turn their head to my voice.... Not David's .... but then he isn't their main carer!!! If I start talking to them they stretch there necks out and look at me... I think they smile too..... Or is it wind. :-)))) x x x hugs x x

#8 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

From the replies so far it seems girls voices attract more response.... High pitch.... Or just wistful thinking from all us mummsy girls.... X x x hugs x x x

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hettie will stretch out her kneck and turn her head to one side when I speak to her as if having a 'listen'. She will also walk onto my hand to be lifted out of her bath. :D I suppose I should admit that other days she will turn her back completely and give me the cold shoulder! :rolleyes:
In Wolfgang Wegehaupt's book he says that torts do not have an outer ear although the inner ear is fully formed. The outer ear would normally pick up soundwaves and funnel them into the eardrum. This is also hindered by a thick layer of skin. They cannot pick up high frequency signals but are able to pick up low frequencies at slow intervals directly via the inner ear.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users