Visit To The Vets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PennyTort_*

Guest_PennyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hi All

I took Puzzle and Jigsaw to the the reptile vet this morning. I was mainly concerned about Jigsaw's slow growth and some weight loss recently.

I managed to get a stool sample from Jigsaw before going, took my weight charts and set off.

The vet was very thorough with both of them. Asked lots of questions about their diet, their indoor and outdoor enclosures, temperatures and behaviour.

He then went away to look at the stool sample and came back and said that there were a couple of round worm eggs in there, so he would worm both of them. Fine I thought, until I saw the metal tube on the end of a syringe! My two babies became circus class sword swallowers! Following that, he said with regard to the weight loss, he thought that Jigsaw looked healthy, no signs of runny eyes or breathing problems, so to encourage her weight growth, he would give her an anabolic steroid injection.

Anyway, we have to go back in two weeks to check on her weight gain and she will have to provide another stool sample, to ensure the infestation has been cleared. In the meantime, he has advised that they have newpaper in their indoor enclosure, to avoid reinfecting themselves.

They both seemed ok today, and were enjoying the sunshine, before going to bed on hard newspaper!

Pennytort!

#2 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Ah poor Puzzle & Jigsaw.
Having them wormed is awful to watch and when I had Cola done she was sick straight away so he had to do it again :(

Lets hope it's all cleared up

Jeanette x

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hi Anne,

It is always difficult to get them to 'go' to order when the vet wants a sample! :D

I am just waiting to find out if my lot have the all clear after their second dose. I wormed them myself this time. Now I have a few the vet told me it was about time I did them myself. I used a soft plastic tube on the end of the syringe that my vet provided me with. I didn't like doing it at all but thought at least it avoided another car journey for the lil guys. :wub:
Fingers crossed Jigsaw will pick up now he's been treated. Tis a funny time of year for the lil guys as they naturally prepare for the big sleep.

Paula x

#4 Guest_PennyTort_*

Guest_PennyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

Hi

The vet did say that they could well need a second treatment, and to be honest they both seem quite lively so no ill effects. I knew that they had to be wormed regularly, but I just hadn't given a thought to the actual process. :o I have enough trouble getting the odd pill down the cats, I just couldn't imagine what it would be like with a tortoise :lol:.

Pennytort xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users