Winter Diet - Suggestions Please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PennyTort_*

Guest_PennyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

Hi All

I won't be hibernating Puzzle and Jigsaw on advice from the vet. This will be my first winter with the torts, so I want to make sure I give them a good balanced diet, when there are fewer weeds available.

Any suggestions would be most welcome :)

Pennytort xx

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:31 AM

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

That's a good article from the TT. Some shop stuff that I use includes raddicio, lamb's lettuce, rocket and squashes. Butternut and other squashes can be grated and fed raw. I also feed kale occasionally in winter. In my view these foods are not ideal but I never use them except in winter when there is hardly anything growing in the garden. So these foods make up a very small proportion of the diet over the year. Also I do hibernate tortoises when they are big and heavy enough.
This year I will also be feeding some Pre Alpin dried tortoise food. This is pure dried plant matter from meadows. They make s few diff versions. I dont feed commercial pellets. I think PreAlpin is ok to feed and can be obtained from the tortoiselady. Worth considering.

Dandellion will grow and even flower in almost every week of the year; don't overdo it.

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hello
I always dry some rose petals and pansies in my airing cupboard and put in paper bags ideal for winter time,i also give butternut squosh,broccoli and mixed salad bags which have rocket and romaine lettuce,i will be hibernating my horsefields but this year is my first year with my redfoot tort.
Jayne

#5 Guest_lovebug009_*

Guest_lovebug009_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:08 AM

TRex makes a tortoise supplement that used to be called salad topper, it has calcium & d and a lot of other green stuff in it. Mort will eat around white powder, but he seems to seek out the leaves that have this on it.

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

Hi Pennytort,
I have had a scrappy list in my purse for the last couple of years, in case of emergency food that I can buy from a supermarket.
It includes Lambs Lettuce, Romaine, Raddicio, Rocket, Frisee, Endive, Water Cress and Little Gem.
The Florretti salad bags are all different and the one I've seen recommended is CRISPY.
I have been lucky up until now and always been able to find enough weeds in winter as I only overwintered Hettie once and she is a small tort.
Winter weeds I have found in January... yep another list! :D Include; Dandies, Plantain, Bistley ox tongue, sowthistle, hawksbit, catsear, bittercress, cleaver, mallow, speedwell and dog violets.

Paula x

#7 Guest_PennyTort_*

Guest_PennyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/

Hi Cara

This is really helpful

thanks a milliion.

Pennytort xx

#8 Guest_PennyTort_*

Guest_PennyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much, all your suggestions are really useful. I feel a lot happier that I will be able to "do the right diet" for the little ones.

Many thanks
Pennytort xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users