Hibernation Newbie

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi Suzi,
I agree with Paula. I'd leave out the worming! Besides, if your torts had worms they wouldn't have such healthy appetites. Take care Suzi!
Kind Regards
Freddy

Thanks for that. I shant worm them before wind down. Im so glad I found the forum :)
Cheers Freddy and Paula too

#22 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi Suzi,

I thought you shouldn't worm before winding down but do you think it's worth just double checking that seeing as they have worms allowing hibernation is the right thing to do? Perhaps a quick phone call to the vet would be the best way forward?
Please let us know what he says! :D

Paula x

#23 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi Suzi,

I thought you shouldn't worm before winding down but do you think it's worth just double checking that seeing as they have worms allowing hibernation is the right thing to do? Perhaps a quick phone call to the vet would be the best way forward?
Please let us know what he says! :D

Paula x

Hi Paula,
I will ring the vets to clarify. I don't think that my crew have worms, I thought that it would be good to worm them as a matter of course like you do your cats and dogs. Is that the case for Tortoises? Will report back when I have more info from the vet.
Cheers Suzi

#24 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hi Paula,
I will ring the vets to clarify. I don't think that my crew have worms, I thought that it would be good to worm them as a matter of course like you do your cats and dogs. Is that the case for Tortoises? Will report back when I have more info from the vet.
Cheers Suzi

Hi I spoke to the Vet I use for my precious torts. She said to not worm now and take in a poop sample in the spring time to see if they need worming then and that you don't worm as a matter of course like you do cats and dogs.
Thanks for your concern Paula . I love this forum.
Cheers Suzi x

#25 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hi All,
Just to update you that after their 8 week hibernation (they have been up since mid Feb) all three woke up in fine fettle. Little Murtle,who I was most worried about, seemed to deal with it the best! Within a few hours and a couple of baths he was charging around and tucking in to a meal of rocket leaves. Thank you so much for all your support and advise, I couldn't have done it without this site.

#26 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Your very welcome Suzi. It was a pleasure giving you advice as you where so attentive. Glad your torts made it safely through hibernation and are doing so well. Keep in touch.... :)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#27 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words, Freddy. I actually have another Hibernation question although a bit early in the year! A few weeks ago I took on a couple of female Hermann that needed a new home. They are 9 and 7 years of age. The lady who gave them to me was their second owner and as far as she was aware they had never been hibernated. The question is shall I hibernate them this winter for a length of time appropriate to their age or should I treat them like youngsters and start with an 8 week hibernation for their first time?
Kind regards
Suzi

#28 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi Suzi,
Personally, I would aim for a hibernation length somewhere in the middle.
10 weeks would be a good start and then you could gradually build up to a hibernation length appropriate to their ages over successive years.
Also, as they are almost adults I would wind them down for the full 28 days.
Hope this helps.
Take care Suzi!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#29 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi Suzi,

Great to hear all went well with the big 'H'. :D
The good thing about getting your new additions at this time of year is that you have all summer to get to know them, to make sure they are healthy to hibernate and learn about the behaviours that are normal for them as individuals.

Providing all is well later in the year, and following the usual pre hibernation checks, I would be inclined to hibernate them next winter.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users