Hermann Indoor Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Danni-hermann tort_*

Guest_Danni-hermann tort_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

hi

im new to the forum and to the tortoise world. I have a hermann tort 2 and a half years old, ive had him for 8 months and am still trying to find the correct substrate to put in his home. I recently had hemp, but found that every so often he would get a little splint stuck on him, near his eye i did not like this so have changed. After reading through a lot of online discussions about bedding and substrate i decided to use a 50 - 50 mix of top soil and play sand. I took out all of the stones etc from the top soil as whe he is in the garden he tries to eat the stones, and i allowed the top soil to dry before mixing with the sand. Once i had mixed it and put it in the tort table i sprayed it with water to allow him to dig but he hasnt he has been in it a week now and doesnt dig, he sleep i a little tunnel at night and under his light during the day, sometimes in the tunnel. i refered back to the internet and saw that some people have bark etc in an area of the table so i have now (today) put some bark on top of the top soil sand mix to see if this would be better.

Just now his tortoise table has :

50 -50 top soil sand mix on about 50% of the table
coconut bark on top of the soil
3 hide outs
a plant
and a slate when his food bowl goes.

i would ver much appreciate some advice as i want to make him as confortable a possible. i can add pictures to let you see what its like and if theres anything i should change.

Thanks Danni

#2 Guest_tortoise lady_*

Guest_tortoise lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

hi danni welcome, i just use topsoil (no sand) for both my hermanns and horsfields,i dont use bark so car,nt really say anything about that,my horsfields dig right down into the soil but my hermanns dont they just sleep ontop,if you want you could post a picture let the experts have a look ,hope this helps alittle im sure someone will be along soon to give you more advice :)

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi Danni,
Hermann torts often dig down because they are unhappy with their lighting or heat. In other words it can be too hot or too cold. Sounds like your tort is perfectly happy were he is. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. Best of luck. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#4 Guest_PennyTort_*

Guest_PennyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Hi Danny

I did lots of research before deciding on 50:50 sand and sterilised topsoil. I buy my bags of topsoil and playsand from B&Q and they don't seem to have stones in them. It seems to work and my two are happy with the set up.
I read a story about a tort who had been kept on hemp and he ended up ingesting a sharp piece of wood which punctured his intestine. It put me off using that.
Pennytort x

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hello Danni
welcome to the forum
I just use topsoil for my horsefields as they love to dig down but for my redfoot i do use bark as it is ideal to keep moisture in longer to raise the humidity.
Jayne

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hi Danni,

Welcome to the forum. :)

I have Hermanns too, most of the time they are happy to sit on the surface of the soil. In the summer when they got too hot they buried themselves to keep cool, as Freddy says he is probably quite happy where he is. They do like a little hide.
When I first got mine I used wooden chippings but was advised that they could harbour mould spoors and cause respiritory problems, although I am not sure whether this is the same with bark?
Do you bath him regularly? Don't forget a shallow water dish for his enclosure. And a cuttlefish is good to keep his beak trim and provide calcium.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users