Underweight

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kila_*

Guest_Kila_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hi all,

I stupidly didn't weigh my tort before her wind down but after the 4 weeks, she's at 890g and 17.8cm which puts her around 0.16 on the JR by my calculations. (She's 6).

I presume that's far too underweight for her to hibernate?

She didn't hibernate last year either because she was recovering from an injury caused by my dog so I didn't want to risk it.

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi Kila,
According to the Jackson Ratio Chart on this forum your tort is dangerously underweight. So I wouldn't hibernate her. Best to keep her up and try to feed her as much as possible. She needs to put on another 250-300 grams to reach a healthy weight. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

Personally, if she's been eating throughout the year and appears healthy then I would hibernate. The JR is to be used as a guide and not gospel. It was based on 'the average' tort and doesn't take into account the different shapes & sizes torts come in. It has now been proven that not hibernating can cause problems to a torts health and fertility. It is also harder to keep a tortoise awake then it is to hibernate them ;)

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

I would be reluctant to take a risk on hibernating this tortoise. She really can't afford to lose anymore weight and if she did she could be susceptible to serious illness. It is true that the JR is just a guide but its there for a reason. It will be hard keeping her up but you did it last year and I'm sure one more year won't make that much difference. However, malnutrition could affect her health. Anyway Kila, it's your call! Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi, I make it 0.158 and I agree with Freddy and I personally would not hibernate this tortoise. It's a bit different if you know the animal really well and keep a regular note of the weight and length each month and each year at the point of hibernating. We don't know how much was lost in wind down and for me that would be a factor I would take into account. But its your decision and nobody else can make it.

#6 Guest_Kila_*

Guest_Kila_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to keep her awake and try and get her weight up.

#7 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

I agree with the boys Kila... I think you would only worry throughout the hibernation process. I would certainly go with 'when in doubt'... Do what your heart says.. X x x hugs x x

#8 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Hello Kila
Go with your gut feeling,its a worrying time anyway.
Jayne

#9 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

Hi Kila

Out of interest, how are you measuring your tort. If you measure her incorrectly it will affect the jacksons ratio.

http://www.tortoiset...s/measuring.htm

Regards
Robert

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hi Kila

Out of interest, how are you measuring your tort. If you measure her incorrectly it will affect the jacksons ratio.

http://www.tortoiset...s/measuring.htm

Regards
Robert

Robert could be right. It is possible that you could have measured your tort incorrectly .
1 inch could make all the difference! I would measure her again as per the above link just to be sure.

Best Regards

Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users