Very Sad News :'(

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kp'z nuts_*

Guest_Kp'z nuts_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Unfortunately wee louigie had a run in with my dog today and never survived, Ive spent most of the evening crying my eyes out over stricken with guilt, I honestly thought we would have him for the rest of our lives, he was finally starting to do really well with his eating and becoming less shy, I even took him to my sisters nursery yesterday for a talk on reptiles. I just cannot believe this has happened :-( I just wanted to put a word of warning out there to people considering getting a little shelled friend, no matter how friendly you think your other pets are and even if they do not get in the same area of the house as your tortoise take extra precautions, I will definately be putting sone sort of wire over lougies table if I ever feel ready to get another tortoise, you do not want to feel the same way I do right now, I will miss his cute little face soooooo much :'(

Kirsty :-( :-( :-(

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Awwww No! :o

Poor little fella!!

So, so sorry to hear about this Kirsty, you must be devastated.

It is really good of you to post this as a warning to others.

Aww, thinking of you and of course of Louigie. :wub:

Paula x

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hi kirsty. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your tortoise. It's sadly true that dogs can never be safe around tortoises no matter how well we might think we know the dog. To a dog, a tortoise is just a toy. It's a tragic accident.

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

Kirsty,
I'm so sorry to hear about Louigie. What a terrible thing to happen. :( Dogs are always a risk around torts which need to be well protected. I hope you will stay in touch and maybe some day soon you will think about getting torts again. Take care Kirsty.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

Kirsty that is all so sad... There is nothing to be said that can ease your sadness. Your dreadful experience though will serve to others to think about the safety of their torts if they have other pets. Time will mend your broken heart. X x x hugs and tight squeezes x x x

#6 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

really glad u felt you could tell the forum.u must be in bits.the same thing happened to one of my hatchlings this year when it went to its new home!the dog got in the room and burst the cage of the top of the table and well u know the rest

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

Kirsty
so sad to hear your news,lots of hugs,take care
Jaynex

#8 Guest_tortoise lady_*

Guest_tortoise lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

hi kirsty this is so sad, and must be very hard for you take care karen x

#9 Guest_helsbells_*

Guest_helsbells_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hi Kirsty i know how you are feeling a couple of months ago my lil dog got hold of one of the hatchlings that i bred it was in the table awaiting collection by its new owner ( i used to use the table for my hatchlings when they first hatched until i knew they were feeding well before they joined their siblings in another enclosure) I never dreamed my dog would do such a thing as he is really friendly with my rabbit that i hand reared. I ask all potential new owners of my hatchlings if they have a dog to make sure it can never get hold of the hatchling as it is a terrible thing to have to go through. I went straight out and brought a 3 tier hamster cage for the newly hatched hatchling's and i use indoor rabbit cages as enclosures for my other torts. Helen

#10 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hello Helen, this may be a silly question but where do you put the lights on the hamster cage?.... X x x hugs x x

#11 Guest_helsbells_*

Guest_helsbells_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hi i will try to put some picture of the hamster cage before and after i converted it will have to figure out how to put pics on here first lol

#12 Guest_helsbells_*

Guest_helsbells_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

[IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss85/helenpaddington/newly%20hatched%20baby%20enclosure/IMG-20110821-00093.jpg[/img][IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss85/helenpaddington/newly%20hatched%20baby%20enclosure/IMG-20110821-00095.jpg[/img][IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss85/helenpaddington/newly%20hatched%20baby%20enclosure/IMG-20110821-00094.jpg[/img]
I think i have done this wrong

#13 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

^^^^^^Hellsbells pics^^^^^^^^

So sorry to hear of your loss Kirsty, you must be devastated :(
Huggs xxx

#14 Guest_helsbells_*

Guest_helsbells_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Cara for doing my pictures

#15 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Your welcome hun :) looks like a nice little setup for wee newborn hatchlings ;) x

#16 Guest_Kp'z nuts_*

Guest_Kp'z nuts_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for all your support and kind words. I am still totally devastated but I am definately going to get another one, I can't bare to look at his house empty anymore. My dad has kindly offered to make a wire lid for my table but for the light to be at the correct temp it needs to sit slightly higher than the top of the table, do you think it would heat the metal too much and be a fire hazard or burn risk to my daughter?

Thanks again
kirsty xx

#17 Guest_Lynne_*

Guest_Lynne_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your sad news.

I have a dog too and she is a jealous dog so I know if she got the chance she would probably cause damage to my torts.

I have their table high up on a tall cupboard so the dog can't even see them. xxx

#18 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

so sorry about your loss, i have 2 dogs and cats as well as 2 torts i keep my torts table in a dog cage and they live quite happily with the dogs whilst Im at work with no mishaps for the past year xx

#19 Guest_Lynne_*

Guest_Lynne_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

Sorry for your loss. I have a dog that is quite jealous so I keep my torts table high up so the dog can;t even see them at all. This works for me. xxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users