Am I Worrying Too Much

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

I know I only put this post on the other day but ronnie still doesnt seem keen to eat the fresh greens we put into the tortoise table, he is pooing and weeing fine and very lively but seems to refuse to eat, Rex however cant eat enough at the moment, I have tried bathing Ronnie and putting him back first so he is on his own to eat I have tried hand feeding (just to get him interested i know this is a bad habit to form) but i can not get him to eat he also seems to have lost 10g in weight over the last week I am starting to wonder if he is preparing himself for hibernation as he weighs 210 g but i dont want to hibernate him this year any tips please are welcome x

#2 Guest_Kp'z nuts_*

Guest_Kp'z nuts_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi there, I had the exact same problem with mine when I first got him, he never ate for a whole week and lost 20g in weight. I took him to the vet and she said they seem to be attracted to bright colours so I was to try him on tomatoes and bright edible petals. He did start eating te tomato eventually an eventually I managed to wean him onto weeds

Hope he starts eating for you soon

Kirsty x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi Debby,
There are many reasons why a tortoise might not be eating. I would give Ronnie another week or two and if he hasn't eaten by then I would take him to the vet for a check-up. If he gets a clean bill of health it is possible that he could be winding down for hibernation in which case you may have no choice but to hibernate him. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for your help and advice Rex (my other herman) has gained 10g this week so really having to watch him as he only put 30 g on over past yr hopefully Ronnie isn't worrying him x

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi again Debby,
Slow growth is what tortoise owners aim for. As long as Rex is not losing weight that's the main thing. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

Hi. It can be alarming if we weigh them really often because the weight does go up and down a fair bit. Its the trend that matters. I agree if your 200g has lost 10g then that could become a concern. Worth remembering as well that your 200g tortoise might do a 10g poo.

The weight gain of 10g in your other tort is probably not signifiant over one week, but if that happens every week then I'd suggest it is too fast a weight gain.

If Ronnie is active then its probably not heat and light related but its worth checking that you are providing plenty of heat and light for at least 12 hours per day. Every tortoise reacts a bit differently to the conditions they are in.

I'd say to keep an eye on Ronnie and keep offering some food. If he sees the food but doesn't brush his face against it to pick up its scent then he probably isn't going to eat any of it just yet. I agree about the bright colours. Mine all love raddiccio which is bright red and I'd suggest trying that before tomatoes.

#7 Guest_lovebug009_*

Guest_lovebug009_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:11 AM

Hi Debby4
I was exactly the same way a year and a half ago, and of course Mort started eating eventually and hasn't stopped since. This forum gave me the confidence to get through it!

Enjoy your little treasures!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users