Tortoise Cannot Use His Back Legs?! Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gemzyfish_*

Guest_Gemzyfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hey everyone. I recently took Henry to the vets as he was sleeping lots and eating nothing. They did bloods and found no kidney or liver trouble. They did find white blood cells to be high so prescribed me antibiotic injections.

Since getting Henry home his back legs appeared to have given up and he scrambles around on his front legs only :-( he is eating now though. Can the leg problem be due to a bladder stone? He hasn't passed ANYTHING for a long time now. I'm so worried. I have heard that someone called arnie recommended soaks and KY jelly?!

Sorry for the panicks and thanks for any info you might have x

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hi Genzy. I also saw your post on another forum. A bladder stone would usually show on a x-ray. I don't know if you got one of those done.

A blood test does not tell you for sure about liver and kidney function. It might tell you if there is a very severe problem in those organs but even 50% kidney function will lead to a blood test that looks normal. But from what you describe this doe snot sound like that kind of problem to me.

I suspect the vet has had a stab in the dark with the antibiotic. Have they seen evidence of an infection? I'm not saying the antibiotic was a bad idea at all but if the tortoise hasn't got an infection you don't want an antibiotic in its system. Is your vet suggetsing anything else? If the vet has nothing else to suggest they might contact someone with more reptile experience for suggestions or another opinion.

A stone somewhere is a possibility and an x ray would tell you if there is one or not.

If the tortoise producing urates?

If he has not passed anything, warm soaks are a good idea regardless. They might help and cannot harm him. Arnie used to be on here all the time but that was a whle ago now.

#3 Guest_Gemzyfish_*

Guest_Gemzyfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

I did not have an X-ray done, so that's gonna happen on Monday. The vet did say there was a high level of white blood cells so prescribed the antibiotic injections. When I administered this tonight he was quick to jolt his leg into his shell. So I assume there's some feeling there.
he is so perky though, eating and generally being really awake, alert to noises and my hand in his torttable. It sounds bad, but when I lift up his rear shell he is happy to plod around like a wheelbarrow :-(

Again thanks so much for your help and concern in this. X

#4 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi again. Yes the x ray is key. There are a lot of positive signs that underneath this problem the tortoise is basically healthy. If it is a stone they can usually be dealt with. Best wishes with him.

#5 Guest_Gemzyfish_*

Guest_Gemzyfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

I really appreciate your help, thanks! Fingers crossed and I'll update here!

#6 Guest_helsbells_*

Guest_helsbells_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

one of my females done this a few years ago she had a calcium crash i gave her a couple of doses of Solcal and bathed her in Reptoboost and she soon got her legs moving again

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Hi Gemzyfish, welcome to the forum :D

I hope Henry gets on well at the vets, tis such a worry when the lil guys aren't right. :( Very best of luck with him. :wub:

Helen, what's a calcium crash? I haven't heard of one before.

Paula x

#8 Guest_helsbells_*

Guest_helsbells_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hi Paula it was after one of my females laid 8 eggs she had a calcium crash where she had used all her calcium to shell the eggs and she couldn't move but after a couple of doses of Solcal and bathing her in Reptoboost she soon recoverd
Helenx

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

Sounds like in humans. The baby will take what it needs and the mother can be left suffering from a lack of vitamins and minerals. Nature eh!

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Helen x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users