Hibernating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rab_*

Guest_Rab_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

Hi
I have today aquired a male Hermann and i am not to sure what to do regarding hibernation. The person i got the tortoise from used to put him in a fridge,i am not really comfortable doing that. Will i cause him any harm by not letting him hibernate

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi
I have today aquired a male Hermann and i am not to sure what to do regarding hibernation. The person i got the tortoise from used to put him in a fridge,i am not really comfortable doing that. Will i cause him any harm by not letting him hibernate

Hi Rab,
Normally you should hibernate a tortoise especially if it has been hibernated before. However, as it is late in the season and you are only a newcomer to tortoise keeping I would say leave it until next year. One year without hibernation shouldn't do your tortoise any harm. You will also need to provide it with plenty of heat and light. By the way how old is your tortoise? I ask this because a younger tortoise would normally have a shorter hibernation period and would be less difficult to keep up. Older tortoises on the other hand can be harder to keep going.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi Rab,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I agree with Freddy, you have only just got your lil guy and it would probably be better if for this year you let him stay awake and got to know him better. Hibernation is a difficult enough time as it is, but once you know torty better you will understand what is normal for him and when things aren't quite right. This is vital as only a healthy tortoise should be hibernated, a poorly tortoise might not survive.
I use a fridge too, it isn't as odd as it first seems, torty is wound down carefully and by the time he goes into the fridge he is barely moving.

Paula x

#4 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

Welcome to the forums Rab x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users