Worming

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

Has anyone used this wormer before? If so is it any good? I was thinking of buying it..... any thoughts would be much appreciated. x

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hi Kelly,

I use Pancur, this is what my vet always used too. I haven't seen the one you've found before, will be interesting to see what others think.

Paula x

#3 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

When victor had worms he wouldn't eat so the vet put it direct into his tummy by tube and a few days later out they all came (disgusting!)

#4 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

Has anyone used this wormer before? If so is it any good? I was thinking of buying it..... any thoughts would be much appreciated. x

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Hi Kelly,
I have never used it before but you can get it cheaper through Amazon @ thetortiseshop.com free postage too.
cheers Suzi x

#5 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for that... I've just found it. ;)

http://www.amazon.co...20996597&sr=8-1

It seems easy to use.... just sprinkle over food or add to bathing water and let them soak for 20 mins...... A lot less stressful than a trip to the vets.......

Does anyone worm their tortoise annually as a precautionary measure? Norman doesn't seem to have them. His poos look clear and he has an excellent appetite.... however, I have heard that shop bought tortoise can be susceptable and it is best to worm them anyway.

#6 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:39 AM

I've just had a repy form Andy Highfield at the Tortoise Trust about this, and he said that tests they conducted showed that this wormer is effective and no side effects were evident. :)

#7 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for that Kelly, I intended to look out for a good wormer just in case...seems you did all the work for me ;)

#8 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for that... I've just found it. ;)

http://www.amazon.co...6597&sr=8-1

It seems easy to use.... just sprinkle over food or add to bathing water and let them soak for 20 mins...... A lot less stressful than a trip to the vets.......

Does anyone worm their tortoise annually as a precautionary measure? Norman doesn't seem to have them. His poos look clear and he has an excellent appetite.... however, I have heard that shop bought tortoise can be susceptable and it is best to worm them anyway.

Hi Kelly
Glad you found the worker on amazon it's quite a saving.
I was thinking of worming mine as a precautionary measure but was advised to ring my vet before I did so . The advise I got was that it's preferable to worm in the spring/ summer and that you don't worm tortoises as a matter of course like you do cats and dogs. She said that if I take in a poop sample in the spring they will tell me if they need worming or not. Apparently a tortoise with worms will be lacking an appetite. Hope this helps you,
Suzi x

#9 Guest_Suzired71_*

Guest_Suzired71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi Kelly
I was thinking of worming mine as a precautionary measure but was advised to ring my vet before I did so . The advise I got was that it's preferable to worm in the spring/ summer and that you don't worm tortoises as a matter of course like you do cats and dogs. She said that if I take in a poop sample in the spring they will tell me if they need worming or not. Apparently a tortoise with worms will be lacking an appetite. Hope this helps you,
Suzi x

I meant to say wormer.... Lol x

#10 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi Kelly
Suzi x

It's probably safe to say that he hasn't got worms at the moment then as he is a real piggy!! I don't think there's a lot that puts him off his food. He wasn't even bothered when I brought him home from the pet shop.... he ate immediately and rather than being unsettled being in a new environment, seemed to love being nosey exploring it.

#11 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Kelly I don't personally think its a great idea to routinely treat for worms. It is a medicine and wipes out a load of good things in the gut as well as bad stuff. So if there are no worms then its better not to do it.

On the other hand, I seem to need to worm mine most years. Once worms have been in your tortoises, they do tend to come back. Even when we throw out all the substrate and disinfect the indoors enclousre.

I think in my case worm eggs might be in the soil in the outdoors enclosure. It isn't possible for me to remove all the substrate from there.

The most common worm species are too small to see in poo with the naked eye.

When I wormed my tortoises in May I did notice that several of them were really quite subdued for several days, although they did continue to eat.

I get a test done in May and decide then if I will worm them or not. A low level of worm/egg prescence is not really a problem for the tortoise and can be quite normal. The problem in captivity is that they tend to multiply rapidly.

#12 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi Ozric ... When you say ' get a test done' what do you do? X x x hugs x x

#13 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Kelly I don't personally think its a great idea to routinely treat for worms. It is a medicine and wipes out a load of good things in the gut as well as bad stuff. So if there are no worms then its better not to do it.

On the other hand, I seem to need to worm mine most years. Once worms have been in your tortoises, they do tend to come back. Even when we throw out all the substrate and disinfect the indoors enclousre.

I think in my case worm eggs might be in the soil in the outdoors enclosure. It isn't possible for me to remove all the substrate from there.

The most common worm species are too small to see in poo with the naked eye.

When I wormed my tortoises in May I did notice that several of them were really quite subdued for several days, although they did continue to eat.

I get a test done in May and decide then if I will worm them or not. A low level of worm/egg prescence is not really a problem for the tortoise and can be quite normal. The problem in captivity is that they tend to multiply rapidly.

Thanks for the advice.... I'm not sure if Norman has ever been outdoors really apart from the last few snatched days of summer sun that he got after I brought him home in Sept. I'm planning on building him an outdoor enclosure for next year, so as soon as it warms up again he will be spending more time outdoors and I dare say more susceptable to picking up worm eggs then.

He's being overwintered this year as he was a little underweight when I got him and I want to be sure that he's fully fit before I hibernate him. Would you advise I leave things as they are now until a vet check next year? As I mentioned before, he is healthy, active and eating like a horse at the moment. :)

#14 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hi Stellanne,

When Oz says he gets a test done he means he takes a poo sample to the vet and it is then tested for worms. No point upsetting the lil guys with a trip to the vet unless absolutely neccessary. :)
Now I have a few torts I worm them myself, it is a cheaper option. My vet encouraged me to have a go with Hettie whilst in the surgery then gave me the medicine needed for the rest of the lil guys to bring home.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users