* * * * - 1 votes

What's The Breed Of Ma Tortoise?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_merna_*

Guest_merna_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

i've posted a question about ma tortoise that it doe snot want to eat Attached File  Image0577.jpg   93KB   97 downloadsAttached File  Image0578.jpg   102.98KB   123 downloadsAttached File  Image0579.jpg   18.35KB   96 downloadsa nything since i've bought it & always sleeping ....some members told me to post some pics of it.......can u plz help me determine its breed & y isnot it eating?:(

#2 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Tortoises need an ambient background temperature of about 20 and a basking temperature of 30-35 to keep them active and eating. A warm 20 minute bath is often a good way of getting them eating too.

It's unclear from your pics what breed it could be without pictures of the underside and the back view. If it is a tropical species then you may have to provide it with requirement specific to the species. What information did you get when you bought him/her?

I always find that a slice of cucumber is too good for a tortoise with a poor appetite to resist! If that fails then I would see your vet as you may have a poorly tortoise on your hands.

What are you offering him/her to eat at the minute? Where is the tortoises housed? What substrate are you using in the enclosure? :)

#3 Guest_merna_*

Guest_merna_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Tortoises need an ambient background temperature of about 20 and a basking temperature of 30-35 to keep them active and eating. A warm 20 minute bath is often a good way of getting them eating too.

I always find that a slice of cucumber is too good for a tortoise with a poor appetite to resist! If that fails then I would see your vet as you may have a poorly tortoise on your hands.

What are you offering him/her to eat at the minute? Where is the tortoises housed? What substrate are you using in the enclosure? :)

i've offered him many things(cucumber,carrots,kale,tomatoes,spinach,lettuce,..etc.),i used to make him roam in the house but now i keep him in abox with ablanket as asubstrate, the temp.is abt 20-23

#4 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Non tropical species need to be in a tortoise table with a 50/50 sand/topsoil mix. The bigger the enclosure the better as tortoises like to roam about on the hunt for food and dig in the substrate. They also need to be able to reach a basking temperature of about 30-35 and have a cooler end to retreat to when they want to cool down again.

You will need to provide him with a basking area by placing a spot bulb at a height so that the temperature below it reached the required 30-35. It may just be that he is a bit sad and cold and he needs you to provide him with the correct environment in order for his appetite to return again.

What kind of 'box' is your tortoise in? Do you have any pictures of where you are keeping him?

He should be eating a natural diet of suitable weeds like dandelion, sow thistle, clover etc. How old is he?

#5 Guest_merna_*

Guest_merna_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

If you have a mediterrean tortoise it will need to be in a tortoise table with a 50/50 sand/topsoil mix. The bigger the enclosure the better as tortoises like to roam about on the hunt for food and dig in the substrate. They also need to be able to reach a basking temperature of about 30-35 and have a cooler end to retreat to when they want to cool down again.

You will need to provide him with a basking area by placing a spot bulb at a height so that the temperature below it reached the required 30-35. It may just be that he is a bit sad and cold and he needs you to provide him with the correct environment in order for his appetite to return again.

What kind of 'box' is your tortoise in? Do you have any pictures of where you are keeping him?

thnxx alot for the info.,i'll get him abigger home & provide him with the required heat & i'll post apic of it ltr,thnx again

#6 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Here a pic of where I keep my tortoise for ideas for you and a care sheet for you to give you some valuable information if he is a mediterrean species. x

Did the pet shop where you got him not give you any idea of his species or information on how to care for him?

Attached Files

#7 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like teps could be a problem if only 20.
Could you tell us more about your setup please so we can try and help? Pics of setup would be great.
Also if you have just got the tortoise s/he's probably still settling in.
Some torts can take a while to settle and will hide and sleep a lot and go off their food.
x

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hi again Merna,
Thank you for posting the pics of your new tortoise. There are many reasons why a tortoise may not eat and why it may sleep all the time. Kelly and Cara have given you some good reasons. Also, we need to know what species of tort you have and I can't tell from your pics. If it is a mediterranean tortoise then it is possible that it is winding down for hibernation, especially if it has hibernated before. If, however, it is an arid or desert dwelling tortoise chances are it doesn't need to hibernate. There is also a chance as Kelly says that he is poorly.That is why I would recommend taking him for a check up to the vet .This is normally what you would do with a new tortoise anyway. That way the vet would be able to answer all your questions and give you the correct advice on how to care for this tortoise. I think this would be the best thing to do. Please let us know how you get on. Take care Merna.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

Merna if it's sunny can you get the tortoise into the sun? Make sure he cannot just run away. He won't be hungry at 23 degrees unless he is getting direct sun.

This tortoise looks to me like a testudo but probably not a hermann, maybe a Gracea.

But we do need to get him eating. He's probably not warm enough to feel hungry. Merna can I ask if you got the tortoise in an Egyptian pet shop?

#10 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hello Merna,

I'm almost sure that you have a Tunisian tortoise (testudo nabulensis), they are quite popular here...unfortunately through illegal import.

If I'm correct about what type of tort you have, it should NOT be subjected to hibernation. This is an extract from a Tunisian tort care sheet

Provide warm, dry indoor accommodation over winter and in summer or spring during periods of bad weather. Daytime temperatures should be minimum 20 C with a 26 C hot spot for basking. Overnight, temperatures can fall to 15 C .

Please read the whole care-sheet @ http://www.tortoiset...s/tunisian.html

#11 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Merna I think you will need to use a lightbulb or somehting for extra heat. Your tort maybe won't be warm enough to be healthy without it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users