skin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first post :)

I have a lovely Hermann and she's (i think its a she) 1 year 2 months old, i have had it for the last 5 months and she has been getting heavier and stronger all the time, I brought her at around 20gr and she's now 43gr.

I actually have 2 potential problems, an eye problem and a skin shedding problem.

I have been noticing skin shedding around her neck for around 1.5 months, it is not sore beneath and its peeling fine...but 1.5 months seems like a long time for me, it seems that the extra doesn't want to break off :unsure: Any opinions please?

The eye problem is a little more worrying, Two months ago I had noticed her right eye not opening right when she wakes up, it will be a little puffy and when opened there's a very small bit of grey in the corner of the eye...funny thing is that it clears up after around 1 hour!! The vet gave an Alfasan eye ointment to be applied twice daily for a week ad assured me that my tort is healthy. After 7 days her eye cleared as promised, but last week I noticed the same symptoms again...I applied the same ointment for a week and now the eye is normal again. Is this something that I'm doing wrong? i don't believe that same eye symptoms in 2 months is normal.

Please let me know what you guys/girls think.

Thank you

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :D

Slow growth is recommended for tortoises so be careful not to try and feed her up. :wub:

What substrate are you using in your enclosure? If it is too dry and dusty it could possibly cause irritation?

Skin shedding is perfectly normal for a reptile, as long as she has no sore patches I wouldn't worry.

Paula x

#3 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi Paula,

I'm actually trying to go for a slow growth, but when i got her she was just 20gr and 9 months old which looked a little underweight to me...so I maybe fed her up just a little until she looked healthier ;)

The enclosure has an artificial turf mat sprinkled with dried bark and some stones and wood to make it a little interesting. I leave the enclosure open so she gets out of it whenever she likes (doesn't spend much time in her enclosure). She's outdoors in the yard in summer (it's hot and sunny here) and indoors in winter with a full room (my study) all for herself. I can't say that she lives in a dusty environment, and i give her baths 3 times a week.

Actually her eye thing is what's really worrying me, but from last week I'm not letting her sleep on the bark which as you said is the only thing that i see can go wrong. From your experience, is it normal to have an irritated eye that often?

Thanks

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hello there, :)

My experience with irratated eyes is VERY limited, Hettie had a puffy eye, it was treated with drops and cleared up. Perhaps if others on here have no suggestions you could contact your vet for further advice.

Lots of us on the forum use topsoil as a substrate, Eileen could dig down into it and thermoregulate her temperature.

Paula x

#5 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

Yeah, I'll be waiting for suggestions here I'm sure my tort is not the first with an eye irritation :), but it happens again I'm taking her to the vet...I hesistate to go to the vet cos I think its very stressful for the tort infact last time it took her she started peeing on him like mad :P

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

I have been noticing skin shedding around her neck for around 1.5 months, it is not sore beneath and its peeling fine...but 1.5 months seems like a long time for me, it seems that the extra doesn't want to break off :unsure: Any opinions please?

Hi There,
Be sure not to pull off any of the loose skin as this can lead to soreness and infection.
Welcome to the forum by the way. :)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#7 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Freddy!

No I won't pull skin off....tho I'm really tempted to cut a big flap of skin she has coming out of her neck cos whenever she moves her neck and brushes the loose skin with the shell she shoots inside the shell probably thinking that someone is touching her head :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users