Michelle Is Much Better

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hello everyone... You may remember me being very worried when Shell got RNS way back in April..... The good news is I feel she has finally turned the corner and is eating well and putting on weight. Of course she will be with us over Christmas and I look forward to a much healthier year for her next year. Thanks to everyone on this forum for their support x x x hugs x x

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

That's great news about Shell! Glad to hear it. It's always said that if a tortoise has had RNS then they can be vulnerable to getting it again. My own experience is that one of mine got it, was quite poorly a few months, got better and has had no problems since. Tortoises seem to take ages to get over an illness.

Thanks for updating us Stellanne

#3 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi Ozric... I guess the experience has made me more aware of the illness... I listen all the time to her breathing and watch her eat and maybe still pamper her. I also think the experience has made me less confident in how I look after my torts though I know I look after them well. It is forums like this one that helps.... I am very nervous about hibernating my other torts though I have done it for years successfully.... But the plan to hibernate outside naturally is still on course .... My feelings irrelevant to my torts needs x x x hugs x c

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hurrahhhh! Great news Stellane. :D
And there's nothing wrong with a little pampering! :lol:

Paula x

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi Stellanne,
I'm so glad to hear Shell has finally turned the corner and is well and truly on the mend. She did go such a long time without eating. I remember it well and your subsequent concern. Your perseverance and patience in feeding her won out in the end. Well done you and little Shell of course. Hopefully, you can expect a good summer with her now and all your torts. Best of luck Stellanne. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hi Stellanne, that is brilliant news..
Can I ask how you knew she had RNS? I am asking because Pepsi my little one hatched in Feb with only one eye is so small and is eating but only small amounts. I have also seen a bubble coming out of one of her nostrils a few times. She weighs 41g whereas her sibling from the same clutch who hatched the same time weighs 78g!!!

I am worried now :(
Thanks
Jeanette x

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hi Jeanette

bubbles at the nose can be a sign of RNS. Is Pepsi's nose dry? You would really want her nose to be completely dry unless she has just been drinking of course or just out of the bath. I don't think the difference in weight from the sibling means anything much but it is always worthwhile taking the weight and writing it down.

RNS can be contagious so if Pepsi has it then she might pass it onto others if they are housed together. If it was me I would separate Pepsi at this point . This can often be done by using some extra bits of wood to divide an enclosure and move the lamp so everyone gets enough heat and light. Some tortoises will fight off a mild case of RNS themselves but although I don't want to worry you I htink you are right to be concerned.

#8 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hello Jeanette, I agree with Ozric and would take Pepsi to the vets as soon as possible. I took Michelle cos she did not seen herself and hadn't seen anything from her nose.... But the vet tilted her and her nose poured!! She had to have two lots of antibiotics two days apart.... Her weight plummeted from a healthy 564gms to 506gms in less than two weeks. Another two weeks and it was 480gms. My vet told me to tilt her everyday to drain her lungs.... Which was easy to do when I took her to her bath.... 3to4 times a day.... I could also hear her snuffling so knew she was not well. I have a brill vet and even though I was taking her every few days and then weekly he never charged. Yesterday she weighed 532gms..... X x x hugs x x

#9 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

Hello,

do you have any general tips on how to prevent RNS

#10 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for that.. I have separated pepsi from the others now and have her booked in Thursday with Mark, he is the best around here and i always see him. Just now and again a little bubble comes out but apart from that her nose is dry, she is very sleepy at the moment and not eating a great deal so a full mot is needed I think.

Fingers crossed.. and thanks for the advice, I will let you know how she gets on :(
xx

#11 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Have you tried tilting her Jeanette, I just placed her on my hand and tipped it slightly. I would also bath her a couple of times a day.... My vet advised that cos she wouldn't be taking on fluids if she isn't eating. X x x. Hugs x x x

#12 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

I will try tilting her tomorrow to see if anything comes out of her nose. I will also up her baths to 2 a day, I am just hoping its not RNS bless her little heart. xx

#13 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hello Stellane

great to hear Shell is much better,a worrying time for you,great to hear you have a good vet.

Jeanette,I hope Pepsi is okay,hope all goes well with the vets,keep us posted.
Jaynex

#14 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

RNS is treatable with Baytrill. If caught in time the tortoise will usually recover.

Prevention is a tricky question - RNS can be set off by a change in environment e.g. substrate. We don't fully understand what causes it but they are more likely to get it when stressed. Keeping a tortoise with RNS separate from the others will prevent transmission of the illness.

#15 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hi Jeanette,
Poor Pepsi. Hope she's OK. Please let us know how she gets on at the vets tomorrow. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#16 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi Jeanette,

Hoping Pepsi got on well in her MOT? :unsure: Such a worry when they are poorly.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users