Low Humidity In Tort Table

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kirstie rose_*

Guest_kirstie rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

So how do you combat low humidity now that the torts are inside in a warm room etc??

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hi Michelle, welcome to the forum. :D

When my guys go into the fridge I shall bring my little one into the house.
I shall try and raise humidity by spraying/watering the substrate, although it shouldn't be saturated.
I have also bought some spagham? moss, which I have read others use. It is moistened and attached to the ceiling of torty's favourite sleeping hide... Well that is the plan... :D

Paula x

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hi Michelle - nice avatar!

What I do is to use a topsoil substrate and I pour water on periodically to stop it getting dusty dry. Some folks use a spray but I like to be generous with the water and then let the substrate dry out a bit over a week or so.

I provide a humid hide for my smaller ones. I have some really little tortoises at the moment and I have a bunch of them sleeping under an upside down small plastic food tray with a hole cut for a door. I dampen the substrate under the plastic tray. When I turn the lights off and it gets cooler at night, humidity under the plastic increases. Any tortoise that doesn't take himslef there is placed there and obediently stays in.

In my opinion humidity is more important for smaller / younger tortoises than it is for larger ones and it is most important at night. Its easier to creat a humid hide for nighttime use. Sphagnum moss can be good for this too, it will absorb moisture and if you put it in the hide the tortoise will hide amongst it.

During the day there is a limit to what we can to do raise humidity on an open table. Moisture will become suspended in the entire volume of air that is in the room. There is no reason for any moisture we introduce to stay where we want it. Some keepers are able to establish living plants on their tables and find the humidity is higher around the plants. What I found was that it was a hard life for the plant, what with the high temperatures and the getting trashed by tortoises all day. If its edible, its eaten right away. If it's not, it gets trashed.

At one time I used a whole slab of turf in a plastic seed tray on the table and this did work to a limited extent until the grass died. But only right where the turf was. I'd be interested to hear what others have done to try and raise humidity on tortoise tables too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users