Speeding Up Again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi All

My Hermanns tortoise Bertie has been slowing down for the last few weeks. I would normally have to wake him up, bathe him and then he would eat and go back to his hide and stay there.
I had started his wind-down ready for Hibernation but last week I bought him a new tortoise table.
Since going on this he's become much more active, basking under his light and walking around all day.
I have not fed him, but I am sure he would eat if it was offered.
I know they can take a few weeks to settle in a new home, but I laid it out in the same way as his old one and the lights are all the same.
Should I postpone his hibernation until he slows down again or continue as normal.
I'm only in the first week of wind down so I haven't changed the amount of lighting yet.

Thanks for any advise
Regards
Robert

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hi Robert,

You know I have only a couple of hibernations under my belt, but if he were mine I would carry on. He hasn't eaten anything and once you get to the stage of reducing the lights he should slow down then.
He has a few weeks yet until the big 'H' and so hopefully he will adapt to his new surroundings.

Paula x

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hello Robert
I personally would carry on and wind down,how much light and heat/uv are you giving your tort?
week one i reduce down to 6 hours of heat/uv this may be the reason why so active,week two 5 hours of heat/uv,week three 3 hours of heat/uv,final week two hours heat/uv reducing down to no heat/light,plenty of baths,bath the day before hibernation.
Jayne

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hi Robert,
I agree with the previous posts. I would continue with Bertie's wind-down. He should finally slow down when the heat and light is reduced. Best of luck!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hi all
Thanks for all your replies.
I'll continue with his wind down.
As this has been week 1 of a 3.5 week wind down, his lights have been at there normal level.
I'll start turning them down on Saturday, hopefully that will slow him down again.
Thanks all
Robert

#6 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

mines always take a burst of energy at the start of wind down.they will soon chill out

bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users