New Baby Tortoises!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jamiedave2010_*

Guest_jamiedave2010_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

just a quick question...how much and how often are baby hermanns meant to eat? My two new babies, sidney and shermann, seem to eat ALOT!! so just wondering exactly hwo much they should be eating!??

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum. :D
Our little guys are greedy little things, given half the chance they will eat and eat and EAT!!
It is difficult to try and judge how much to give them. Many people start by offering a 'shell covering'. The leaves we give them vary in texture and thickness and so this really is only a rough guide.
What I do is weigh my lil guys weekly, we are supposed to aim for slow smooth growth of about 2-4g per month. So many things affect their weight, fluid intake, bowel movements etc. which is why I weigh mine so frequently. I don't worry about a single reading but look at the picture over time. You can then adjust their food intake as necessary.

Paula x

#3 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

My 2 year old Hermann would eat all day if I let him, but he's so active, I think he burns it all off!!

I was in a bit of a panic in the first few weeks that I got him because he seemed to have put on 38g in just 2 weeks!!!!! :o However I later found out this was due to the fact he was dehydrated when I first got him having been kept in a vivarium. :(

His weight does go up and down on a weekly basis a bit due to his water/food intake, the time of day he is weighed and a good poo! However I have found that over the course of a month it now evens out to the recommended 2-4g. :)

#4 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

I don't disagree with what anyone says here, but there is a slight problem with the 2 to 4 g idea. This would be an insignificant amount for a 750g tortoise to increase by, but would be a massive jump for a little 25g hatchling. So we do have to take into account the overall weight and age of the tortoise too.

I very much agree with Paula that we need to get an idea what a tortoise is doing weight-wise over a period of time. And we can only really do this by weighing them maybe once a week and writing it down. Over a period of months it should be going up gradually. But if it goes down one week compared to last week, this usually doesn't mean any kind of problem at all.

Some tortoises are very active (often males) and need to eat more to maintain their weight. Others only move to reach the feeding place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users