Peta's Pumping Her Front Legs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

This morning Peta is sitting in the plant pot snuggled into moss but unusually her front legs are pumping away and she seems to be 'gulping'. I have never seen her do that before. She ate well last night and was just as active as always. Probably worrying about nothing.... X x x hugs x x.

#2 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

when they breeth ther head and front leggs go!not sure aboot the gulping though

bruce

#3 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Yes I know their legs pump when they are breathing.... But it just seems a much quicker action today. Anyway I have bathed her and fed her and everything is ok there.... Just a worry I guess cos I have not worried about them for a while..... Have given them spring greens this week for a try and they all loved it. Is it ok for them? I read somewhere cabbage was ok for a treat and then somewhere else not to feed x x x hugs xxx

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hi Stellanne,

Plants from the cabbage family can inhibit the absorbtion of calcium to the bones, and so I don't offer this to my torts.

Paula x

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Hi. I wouldn't worry about the gulping as this is most likely to be the tortoise sampling the air for scents of plants or other things. They have a sensor in the throat which they can choose to work harder to check something out.

#6 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

Thanks all for that info. Peta has quite a flat shell.... Not domed like the others. I have been reading posts about torts being laid on when they are babes causing flat shells. What came to mind is if this has happened her lung capacity could be reduced. X x c hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users