Outdoor Enclosure In The Planning.....

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

Well, Norman's outdoor enclosure is in the planning and preparation stages now..... I have annuals, perenials and mixed weed seeds (from Linda at http://www.tortoisel...co.uk/page8.htm) ready to germinate.... and have ordered him a house to shelter from the rain and a greenhouse for cold days (which I will mount on bricks with a small opening so he can crawl inside when need be).... They should be here in a few days:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've just got to get something to border the edges.... was thinking of log roll edging.... Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649
Is 12" high enough do you think?

I have a lovely sunny area of the garden ready and waiting for renovation..... just need to get my partner to pull up a few patio slabs and put some mesh under the soil to prevent him from digging out and others digging in!! I'm then going to landscape it so it's close to his natural habitat and just have to wait for the weather to warm up in the spring so his plants can establish........

Does anyone else have any good ideas?

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

I've just got to get something to border the edges.... was thinking of log roll edging.... Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649
Is 12" high enough do you think?

Hi Kelly,
Norman's new shelter looks great as do all the pics that you posted. :) He certainly will be one spoiled little tort and deservedly so in my opinion. :LOL: The 12" high log roll is fine. This is what I use for my adult tortoise's outdoor enclosure. Hope this helps. Best of luck Kelly.! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#3 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

He certainly is one spoilt tortie..... my kids have been complaining that I have spent more on him in the last two months than I have on them in the last two years! :LOL:

#4 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Norman's tube heater for his house arrived today and I've installed it so I can see just what kind of heat it produces inside.
Posted Image
That's everything now....apart from a thermostat..... but that can wait! I'm getting impatient for a free weekend so I can start on the hard work..... then I can do the fun landscaping bit..... :)

#5 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hello Kelly, I have a similar plan this winter for my four... There comes a time when it isn't easy to be getting torts in and out of pens and runs... Particularly when you can only carry one at a time. So outdoor accommodation is must. I also want the space for hibernation purposes. X x x hugs x x

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hi Kelly,

Lucky Norman! The plans are looking good. :D

One thing you will need to consider outside is some sort of mesh cover/lid for his garden as he is only a little fella and there is a possibility he could be carried away by birds.

Paula x

#7 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

Already sorted..... My partner has got loads of sheets of sturdy mesh just sitting there waiting to be used. He measured everything up last night and we went to B&Q to look at materials to make the perimeter fencing. We've decided against the log roll now and will be getting decking board as it's sturdier. He's going to pull up some patio slabs to extend the area and dig down for the foundations.... Then we're going to put in a mesh under the soil (so he can't dig down too far and others can't dig in) and put the post in to mount the boarding to.

Seeing the plan on paper is making it all come to life a bit. I'll post some before, during and after pics when we get started on the project. :D

#8 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Latest update......

Proposed area before:
Posted Image

Slabs now pulled up, perimeter all built with the wire mesh base under the soil so he can't escape.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've just got to go and buy some more topsoil/playsand to bring the level up and buy some gravel, then I can do the fun bit of landscaping it all, putting the greenhouse in and setting up his tort house. Once everything is positioned inside, we can make the mesh top to keep the birds and cats out.....

I'm going to start sowing his seeds now indoors so they're all ready for the spring. :)
Posted Image

#9 Guest_sky1_*

Guest_sky1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

Kelly!!! Looking good. The little house might need a water proof before use. Mine did. :LOL:

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hey, you've been busy! Norman's gonna luuuurve it! :D

Paula x

#11 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Yay!!!:P Norman been outside trying his new outdoor enclosure today... It's not quite finished, but it's finished enough for him to get out in the first of the spring sunshine today for a few hours. He loved it. He was marching round investigating everything, and even starting chomping away on his weed seedlings! :o
Luckily I think the weather going to cool too much for him to go out again for a bit, so hopefully the plants can get more established before he goes out again! :lol:
Here's some pics of him today. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
He's got a nice greenhouse in there at the moment too so he's got somewhere to go if the weather is a bit chilly, but when it warm up, I can just lift it out so he can get maximum sun exposure. I just need to finish landscaping it too, but so far so good. He seemed to love it! ^_^

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

That looks fab Kelly! He's going to love being out there this summer. :wub:

Last year I planted my outdoor enclosure with loads of different plants, the idea was that they could be self sufficient and chose when they grazed. They chose alright... to eat the lot within a fortnight! :D

Paula x

#13 Guest_gwenq_*

Guest_gwenq_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

That looks absolutely fantastic!! Where did you get the wooden house with ramp - I love it - and need it!!!

Gwen

#14 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

I got mine on Ebay. Just had a quick search and found one with this seller:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a704fd551

They come flat packed and you make them up yourself.

#15 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

looking good kelly carn,t wait till mine can go out way to cold here though :)

#16 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Hi Kelly,
Norman's outdoor enclosure looks fantastic. You did a great job. Well done you!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#17 Guest_mrjim_*

Guest_mrjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

hi kelly looking great what tempertures are you getting at night time with that tube heater

#18 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

I've checked the temperatures again today, as it was a it chilly earlier and the heater has been keeping the interior of his hut at 22-23oc.

Posted Image

He's been in and out of it when he's needed to warm up a bit before the sun came out properly. Now he's basking away. :)

Posted Image

#19 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

He's not properly outside all the time yet.... but I brought a few of his bit and pieces out of his tortoise table to make him feel at home.

Posted Image

He even had a drink.....

Posted Image

I knew it wouldn't be long before he started on his weed seedlings...... little piggy!! :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hi Kelly,
Norman sounds like a very well adjusted and adaptable little tortoise. Congratulations! :)
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users