Outdoor Enclosure In The Planning.....

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

He certainly is a confident little chap, I'll give him that! Nothing seems to phase him...... or put him off his food!! :lol:

#22 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Kelly
well done!,look's like Norman is really enjoying his new outdoor enclosure,lovely photo's,thanks for sharing.
Jaynex

#23 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

The weeds are more established now..... not sure how long that will last though, because Norman found them yesterday while he was out enjoying the sunshine..... :lol:
Posted Image

#24 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

I need a bit of advice about outdoor temps.....

What temperature do you think I should set the thermostat to in his hut? Should I leave it at an ambient temperature of 20oc, or should I set it to 32oc, so he's got somewhere to reach his maximum temperature if it's a shady day with no sun?

I'm not sure of all the variable temperatures yet, as this is the first summer his outdoor enclosure is up and running. I think I'll have to judge things on a day to day basis. Is that what everybody else does?

Today, for example, the ambient air temperature is 18oc and he can reach a basking temperature in the sun of 32oc in the sun, so I've took the cold frame out. His hut temperatue is 25oc and the ground is 14oc in the shade.

He seems happy enough today, anyway. Look he's smiling! :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Hi Kelly,
I think you are managing the temps just fine. The average outdoor temp here on a sunny day is 20C. It is often a little lower which just means it takes my tortoise a little longer to warm up. My tortoise usually makes for the shade after she has warmed up.
However for Norman, temps around the 20 degree mark should be fine. I think these temps would also be suitable for his hut on cooler days.
The weather will get better during the summer so you won't need to worry as much about temps then.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck Kelly! :)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#26 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

What do I do on days where there is no sun, but the ambient temperature outside is about 18-20oc? I have the coldframe..... would that be efficient enough to get his temperature up, or should I adjust the thermostat in the hut to 32oc, so he's got different heat gradients? :blink:

Just when I'd got all his indoor temps spot on.... now I'm entering a new and even more confusing ball park! :lol:

#27 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hi Kelly,
Tortoises don't have sun all the time, even in the wild. As you rightly say there are days when the sun doesn't shine but tortoises still get a certain amount of the UV light they require. This UV is stronger on sunny days, that's all. But everything balances itself out over the course of a season.
Unless you have a UV lamp in his hut he is not going to get much UV so temperatures alone of 32 degrees aren't going to do much good except to make Norman more restless. If you do need to warm him up I would suggest placing him in a transparent coldframe were it is both warm and where he can also get the benefits of UV light .
If you are planning to keep him outdoors for extended periods he is going to have to get used to the temp gradients outside. However, provided temps don't fall below 15C I think things should be OK for Norman. This has been my experience with my own tortoise and this is what I would do. Norman seems to have adapted well to the great outdoors and I think he will be just fine. Hope this helps. Best of luck Kelly!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#28 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

He's not had a season outdoors yet, so this is as new for him as it is for me. Thanks for the advice. :)

#29 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Norman went outside for a bit today...... I think he's liking the established weeds now!

Posted Image

It's just started hailing now! :o So much for him enjoying a bit of sunshine. :huh:

#30 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Isn't this weather so frustrating.... So so ready to get our torts outside, and then it is so cold. Can't wait to get my great outdoors organised so at least they can get some fresh air.. X x x hugs x

#31 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

hi kelly norman looks likes hes enjoying them they wont last long :)

#32 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi Kelly,

Just his lil bum sticking out of those juicy weeds! LOL!
Last year I planted my tort garden with what I thought were enough weeds to last weeks and my gutsy babies cleared the lot within no time!!

Paula x

#33 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

That's what I'm afraid of! :unsure: He's such a piggy.... In some ways I've been grateful of the cool, wet weather...... to give the seedlings more of a chance to establish before he goes out full time and scoffs the lot! :lol:

#34 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

The weeds are still here.... ;)

Posted Image

#35 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

That sure is fabulous space you have made for him Kelly, one spoilt tort ;)

#36 K8tyr3000

K8tyr3000

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Can I ask what weeds you have used we are in the mids of our outdoor enclosure and trying to get ideas of easy weeds to grow

#37 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I bought a variety of tortoise friendly seeds from:

http://myworld.ebay....sid=p4340.l2559 and

http://www.tortoisel...co.uk/page8.htm

The shepherds purse and went out and dug up by the roots while I was out picking weeds! LOL

#38 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

http://stores.ebay.c...helled-Warriors

They sell virtually everything you need at good competitive prices. x

#39 K8tyr3000

K8tyr3000

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Ideal thanks for your help

#40 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

There was certainly no need for the cold frame today. Norman's loving the sunshine.... and his pool to cool down. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users