- - - - -

Hey, Im New And I Have A Few Questions :)

introduction help new questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_avengedsoph_*

Guest_avengedsoph_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

hey, i have a herman tortiose who is about 4 or 5, i just got him off my uncle who sadly just died and he left him to me so i have a few questions

1, how do i tell if its a girl or boy?
2, can i cut its nails if yes how?
3, if i wanted to get it a friend will they get on okay?
4, is the website for or against breeding?
5, how often to i bath it?
6, how often to i change his wood chips?
7, how can i stop him from getting bored?

pleaseee help me :)

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hi welcome to the forum and to tortyhood! :D
If you were to take a picture of his underside (plastron) someone on here might be able to tell you whether it is male or female.
Torts do have quite long nails, do they really need doing? I have never needed to cut my torts nails. Technically yes they can be cut, but with lots of care there is a quick in their nails and if you catch that you can cause a bleed. Perhaps for the first time it would be better to get advice and a lesson from your vet. Bits of slate in the enclosure will help keep them trim.
If you are thinking of a friend try and find out what subspecies of Hermanns your tort is first, and make sure you get the same type. Again if you post some pictures someone maybe able to help. You will need another enclosure to quarantine the new tort for some time before putting them together.
How are you keeping torty? If he is on a table he may need less bathing than if in a vivarium, that said as we switch on our heating and the air becomes drier bathing is always good. I still bath my 4yr olds 5 x per week.
Next time you change him why not try some bagged topsoil without additives from the garden centre. Wood chips when damp can cause mould spoors which can lead to respiratory problems. Torty will love to dig in the soil and you can lightly water it so that it helps the enclosure from drying out too much.
Providing different hides and breaking up a straight eyeline with either rocks or logs will keep things interesting for torty. Have a look at our enclosure section there may be some ideas on ther to 'borrow'. :D BE WARNED the little guys don't like things being moved around too often! :lol: Hettie will sulk for days at a small change. :)
So much to learn for such a little thing, but you will get plenty of help on here, ask away!

Paula x

#3 Guest_cathbeer10_*

Guest_cathbeer10_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hi, welcome! I'm fairly new too and have had my ten year old Herman (billy) for three weeks now after I adopted him from the RSPCA. I'm finding I'm learning as I go along but billy seems quite happy. The advice Paula gave you was also helpful to me too so thanks both!
Cath. Xx

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

hello and welcome to the forum,Paula has given some great advice,would love to see some pictures of your tort.
Jayne

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction, help, new, questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users