hermanns over feeding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_marcie_*

Guest_marcie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:02 AM

HI all...

My boyfriend says I feed baby shelldon too much :( He eats at 8 am for about 30 minutes.....and at 9 pm hes always looking for food so i feed him. is it too much? In the morning he has a spring mix of romaine, green and red mix and at night just romaine and some viola leaves.

baby shelldon is about 3 months old.

thanks for any advice!

Marcie

#2 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hi Marcie!!

Nettle gives everyone the impression that she is starving but I can assure you a tortoise will just scoff and scoff and scoff if you let them! The general allowance is about a shells covering of food daily. That is what I stick to, sometimes she may have slightly more but it is very rare. I feed Nettle twice a day but half the food (if that makes sense!!?)

Do you have cuttlefish in your enclosure? I find that Nettle will scour for food for awhile and then tackle her cuttlefish for some time and then she is satisfied!

Louise
x

#3 Guest_marcie_*

Guest_marcie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Thank you Louise!

Everyone keeps saying a shells covering of food daily, and I am confused about that. Would it just be a flat layer of food about the size of his shell?

He does have a cuttlefish but he shows no interest to it.

Marcie

#4 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

No worries!

Yes as a guide I would say about that much, your aiming for a weight gain of 2-3grams a month so regularly weigh and assess the situation!

Nettle enjoys cuttlefish but only after I have chipped off the hard bit on the underside with a pen knife! She also likes it when it has been sprayed with water!

Try different things - they each have their very own special personalities!

Louise

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

Hi Marcie. I think the morning feed sounds like enough without the later one too. If you like to feed twice a day, then feed half as much at each meal. Don't worry if he's not nibbling the cuttlefish as some tortoises don't seem to bother with it. If you use a little neutrobal several times a week that should do for calcium and other minerals.

#6 Guest_marcie_*

Guest_marcie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

Thanks Ozric i have been using a calcium spray on all his meals. Do you think thats enough vitamins?

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi.

If you are using a uvb lamp or tube for Shelldon then the calcium is probably enough. Some keepers like to use a supplement with D3 in it such as Neutrobal but this most likely not necessary if you are providing uvb. Some keepers feel they should use a D3 supplement even when they are using uvb lighting but personally I don't.

Its important that tiny torts especially get enough D3 either from uvb or a supplement. As well as a good amount of calcium.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hermanns, over feeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users