Too Underweight For Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jphrlw_*

Guest_jphrlw_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

We have a 2.5yr old Hermanns that we hibernated well last year but this year he is below 0.16 on the Jackson Ratio so can not be hiberanted. I feel really gutted and worry that we have done something wrong. He has been fine all year and has not been unwell. He has eaten well and bathed 3 + times a week. Fed on a diet of weeds and flowers with the rare bit of lettuce or tomato.

I guess my question is how do we see him through the winter? Last year we used the fridge method for 8 weeks and it was such a cold winter that I'm glad we hibernated him. How do I keep his temps up and what do I feed him on when there is a daily frost? :(
He lives indoors on a tort table with a heat lamp and uv lamp.

Thank you

Rachel

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hi Rachel,
Some supermarket foods than can be used as a part of a mixed diet include Romaine, Raddicio, Rocket, Frisee, Endive, Water cress (not salad cress in a punnet) and little gem.
I still have some winter pansies around and some cats ear and mallow growing in the greenhouse. I had to over winter Hettie one year and was surprised by what I could still find.

Paula x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hi Rachel,
As your tortoise is too underweight for hibernation, I think it is right to keep him up this year. It will only be for an 8 week period so you should be able to manage OK. Paula has already giving you some excellent food suggestions. You might also like to take a look through threads in the hermann tortoise section were you will find other winter diet suggestions.
Here is a useful link http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/ Hope this helps. Take care Rachel.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_jphrlw_*

Guest_jphrlw_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Thank you Paula and Freddy for your replies. I will read the information suggested and fingers crossed Timmy does ok this winter.

Rachel

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hello Rachel
I have had to over winter H the one year and it was amazing what i managed to find even with kicking the snow away from the ground,some people looked at me as if i was mad,i bulked it up with winter pansies and i dried alot of roses in the airing cupboard,if you have not dried any flowers you can buy them from the shelled warriors shop,and also bags of rocket and watercress from the supermarket.This year i have a redfoot to feed during the winter months so still got to find some weeds even though my three horsefields have now gone into hibernation.
Jayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users