Michelle Has Passed Away.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:54 AM

:( :( Hi Guys, this has to be one of the worst mornings. I have just been to put on Michelles lamp and she has died in the night. I do not know what to do with myself. She has been doing so well since she was poorly in May. I have been bathing her everyday, she has been eating fine, active, even climbing and gaining steady weight. When I take her to her bath I still 'tilt' her and check her breathing like I was doing when she had RNS. I do not understand it. When I found her I immediately placed her in warm water to see if there was any life at all in her, but there wasnt. She was cold when i picked her up and even the little bit responsive. So now I am beating myself up about why. There was a little bit of fluid round her mouth, could she have vomited and if so what could have caused that. She has been nowhere but her pen. What about Peta? A close eye on her now I guess. I feel really this is all my fault, but dont know what I have done wrong. Sad hugs xxxx :( :( :(

#2 Guest_Kp'z nuts_*

Guest_Kp'z nuts_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:14 AM

Oh nooooo, that is soo sad. I know exactly how you feel, when my dog got a hold of louigie I blamed myself for ages, there really was nothing you could do though. It's gut wrenching and I know exactly how you feel :-( xx

#3 Guest_helsbells_*

Guest_helsbells_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hi so sorry to hear of your loss i know how it feels. I felt the same as Kirsty when my dog got hold of one of my hatchling's i felt so bad my thoughts and best wishes are with youxxxx

#4 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'm really sorry to hear this. When an animal dies, for whatever reason, we always think there's something we should've, could've done, especially as they can't tell us what's wrong. Don't beat yourself up about it; it shows you care and you know you did all you could. Unfortunately sometimes nature takes the upperhand.

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

Awwwww Stellane that is terrible news! :( You must be devastated.
You have done everything you could possibly do to take care of Michelle, don't doubt yourself. :unsure:
So so sorry. Be brave.

Paula x

#6 Guest_shaz_*

Guest_shaz_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

You done the best you could.

Sorry for your sad loss :(

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

aww! Stellanne I'm so terribly sorry to hear about Shell. It seemed after all your great care that she had finally overcome her illness and was well on the road to recovery. You must be devastated. I thought she had well and truly turned the corner. Please don't be too hard on yourself. You did all that was humanely possible. This is so sad. :( My commiserations. Take care Stellanne.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

Hi Stellanne

I'm sorry to hear of what hapenned. From your posts it is quite obvious that you are a really caring and attentive keeper who does everything possible to benefit your tortoises. I cannot think of anything else that you could have done.

She clearly hasn't died from RNS- Some other health issue has been going on all the time and not been diagnosed but I don't mean anyone is at fault. It can be very difficult to know what is going on with a tortoise and there is so much that we don't understand about them.

It's extra hard in this case because we don't have any idea why this tortoise died. Vomitting is quite unusual in tortoises and as far as I know its usually a reaction to swallowing something bad.

From what you say her last weeks were good for her. If she had been feeling bad she wouldn't have been climbing, active and feeding well. It might help just the slightest bit to know that.

#9 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Stellanne, I can't stop thinking about you and how awful you must be feeling, I just wish there was something I could say to reassure you that Michelle would've passed no matter who was looking after her and nobody could have done more than you for her. xxxx big hugs xxx

#10 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thank you for all your kind replies, it means a lot to me. I gave her a last hug and stroke yesterday before burying her. Deep breaths and remember her with love for the joy she gave me. Thank you for all your support x x x sad hugs x x

#11 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Oh Stellanne.. you have left me a blubbering wreck..I just feel so sorry for you :( rip Michelle.. I am very concerned that little pepsi is no better :( and just don't know how I would cope losing her :(
How's bubbles leg now? xxx

#12 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

Bubbles leg is ok.... It looks like the sores are caused by her shell when she scrabbled to get out of her pen. So I leave her some food when I go to school and her heat lamp off. I bath her when I get home just to keep them clean and let her exersise on the carpet til she finds her cardboard box hide then she is back in her pen with lights. Thinking about moving her into the large pen with peta now. The sores are still there but they are getting no worse. Pebble is enjoying his 'rest'. Peta is behaving very differently now..... Sleeping in different places, do you think she misses Michelle? I do. Sorry to harp on about this but she was very special to me, bought by the love of my life and cherished as I cherish him. Going to buy a paving stone to place above her.... And a statue of something to put on top. That's today's job x x x hugs x x

#13 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

so sorry to here this!like everyone has said am sure u have done the best for the wee tort

bruce

#14 Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*

Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

I am so sorry, it is such a shame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users