Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hello
H,Becky and Humpty have gone into hibernation today in there outside home,already missing them.
Jayne

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

Awww sleep well little ones! :wub:

My new biggies go in tomorrow and Hettie Bailey and Boo next weekend.
Seems strange just picking weeds for little twiglet, after the amount I have needed lately it really is just a couple a day.
He is 18 months and still only 20g!! He is lively and a lovely little character. I have moved him into the house with me now the shed is cooler.. tis great having him to chatter too!! :wacko:
I know what you mean though jayne, will miss them muchly!

Paula x

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hello Paula
awww i bet its lovely for you to still have twiglet awake,seems strange only getting a few weeds,i only have to get for speedy my redfoot i'm so pleased having him with me this year he's getting all the attention and loving it,do you hibernate yours in the fridge or outside in there home?,H,Becky and Humpty are outside in there home,i cannot even see where humpty has buried but i can see where H and Becky are.
night night little one's.
Jaynex

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi Jayne,
Best of luck with H, Becky and Humpty's hibernation! :)
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi Jayne,
I have had my new little ones quaranteend and so they were in a temporary enclosure. When everyone wakes up in Spring they will be going in together.
I have them in the fridge this year... just enough room! The big girls are in the salad draw at the bottom which I have half full of topsoil. Everyone else is in either plastic cracker or icecream tubs.
I might have a rethink next year when they are in a permanent enclosure, the temporary one I didn't feel was deep enough for an outside hibernation. I have spent weeks digging them up and putting them under their lamps but think they really do know whats best for themselves. Hettie is currently without basking heat or UV lamps and she has managed to dig herself in today, Hettie doesn't usually dig much. She knows you know! :D Ah well.. fridge for her and the little guys at the weekend!
Hope Speedy enjoys his fuss! :wub: At least knowing where H and Becky are if the weather gets really bad you can put something over the top of them to keep the worst of the weather away. A girl I work with uses an old piece of carpet. I wonder what depth they have to get to before the temperature stabilizes and stays more constant?

Paula x

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

Hi Paula,
Great to hear your torts are safely in hibernation. You sure had a large group this year. Best of luck with them all! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Freddy :D The fridge IS pretty full! :laugh:

Paula x

#8 Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*

Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi,
I am a very anxious first time Tortoise Mother. Tristan is 18 months old and I have given him a 3 week wind down with baths every other day. I reduced his heat and light over that time. I put him in an unheated bedroom a couple of days ago, it was 10 degrees, in a box with soil substrate in. There he finally stopped moving around. I put him in the fridge this afternoon, it's 5 degrees.
My big question is that he has lost about 6 grammes, just under 10% since the beginning of November in this wind down period. He now weighs 59.2 grammes and his carapace measures 60 mm straight across. Is he too small? Has he lost too much weight ?

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Personally, I think your tortoise is a little small and underweight for hibernation. Although some people hibernate hatchlings, in my opinion 3 years old is plenty of time to hibernate a tort. You will need to measure the length of your tortoise's shell underside or plastron to determine if he is a good weight or not. Your tortoise is under 9cm(90mm) long and barely appears on the Jackson Ratio chart of this forum. You can see for yourself here http://www.hermann-t...or%20adult.html.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*

• Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. I was rather fearing this reply though ! I have looked at the Jackson graph and that was one reason I was worried. I did see another formula for measuring if they are ok for hibernation that seemed to suggest he was ok. I don't know where I saw it and can't remember it now though. I am a bit confused as to why you say I should measure his plastron. I thought it was their carapace length you measure for the jackson graph ?
I am calling him a juvenile rather than a hatchling because he is 18 months old, would you say that is wrong? Should I be treating him as a hatchling.
It's so difficult isn't it.I checked him last night and he was tucked in. I don't want to disturb him too much but do you think I should check him again ? Do you think I should just get him out ?
Please help everyone.

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

The Carapace is the top part of a torts shell and is the incorrect part to measure. This is a mistake on the Jackson Ratio Chart. The correct way is to measure the length of your tortoise's shell underside or plastron. As I said some people hibernate hatchlings or very young torts quite successfully. I would weigh your tort at regular intervals during his 8 week hibernation to make sure everything is OK. If he is losing too much weight then I would get him up. Be warned, hibernating such a small and underweight tort is always a risk. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#12 Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*

• Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Why does every website I have seen say to measure across the top ? It's very confusing if, as you say this is wrong. Has anyone seen the tiny tortoise website ? According to the graph on there Tristan is actually a bit heavy. I have also done the calculation of weight in grammes divided by length 3 times and he comes out at .27 which would again suggest he is not underweight. Thanks so much for your help.

#13 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi there,

On the green front page of our forum there is a hibernatiion link. Have a look, it shows how to get the correct measurement for the Jackson Ratio. Lets make sure all the measurements are right before you make a decision to abandon hibernation.

Paula x

#14 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

Why does every website I have seen say to measure across the top ? It's very confusing if, as you say this is wrong. Has anyone seen the tiny tortoise website ? According to the graph on there Tristan is actually a bit heavy. I have also done the calculation of weight in grammes divided by length 3 times and he comes out at .27 which would again suggest he is not underweight. Thanks so much for your help.

As Paula says best to make sure you have measured your tort correctly before you make any decision. It would appear that the Carapace word mistake has been replicated on other tort sites. Not to worry. I have checked out the tiny tortoise website graph and it appears to be quite accurate. I would use this chart again when you have re-measured Tristan. I don't think you will have any problems. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#15 Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have double checked and it does seem like the way to measure them is across the top, straight across the top with their head tucked in, the SCL. This is how I measured him and his weight is on the right line on the graph so I think he is alright. I will check on him in a weeks time and weigh him. Thanks too Hettie for pointing out where to find the juvenile Jacksons ratio graph.I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Thanks everyone. I hope he is ok.

Jenni

#16 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have double checked and it does seem like the way to measure them is across the top, straight across the top with their head tucked in, the SCL. This is how I measured him and his weight is on the right line on the graph so I think he is alright. I will check on him in a weeks time and weigh him. Thanks too Hettie for pointing out where to find the juvenile Jacksons ratio graph.I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Thanks everyone. I hope he is ok.

Jenni

Hi Jenni,
Check out the following link http://www.tortoiset...s/measuring.htm. Hope this helps to clarify my advice. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#17 Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*

• Guests

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Freddy, I think we are on the same page. Got there in the end !

Hope you have a lovely xmas

Jenni

#18 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

Hi Jenni!

Its important to check the length really carefully because with small tortoises a difference of even 1 mm in the length has a drastic effect on the results.

Apart from the Jackson ratio I also recommend the Hailey measure http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm

In many ways this is better than the Jackson because you can factor in other things like the sex of the animal. But it is mainly intended for those over 100 mm.

I suggest keeping a careful check on the weight during hibernation using the same scales. If this tortoise looses anythng much whilst in the fridge you might want to consider cutting the hibernation short.

Is Tristan a hermann? Just checking!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users