Keeping torts together

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:48 PM

After speaking to many breeders I have decided to start with babies and waite untill breeding age.

If I buy 2 more tortoises (hermanns), could I keep them with the one I already have (hermanns)?

Thanks, Craig :)

#2 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

Hi Craig

You have probably found out that a breeding pair of any tortoise is very expensive. The best way to gain knowledge is to start from the beginning with much younger tortoises. If you want to add to a tortoise you have already then you will need to keep them in quarrenteen for at least six months. This will help stop anything bad being passed from one to the other.

Amy

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hello Craig
<<>
So long as you realise that buying hatchlings you don't know what sex they are, there is no garuantee what ever the temps they hatched at they are the sex the breeders sometimes say they should be, I always incubate my eggs at 32/33 degree's for females, but I have still produced some lovely male tortoises
Your next question, yes if they are of similar age and after quarantine, which now would be after hibernation at least
Arnie

#4 Guest_Radicaldave_*

Guest_Radicaldave_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:45 PM

this is because most breeders aim for an average temperature which tends to deliver a mixed clutch the only way to sex a tort is not from the breeder but to wait until sexing age and flip em, failing that post a pic, most people on here seem well established and will be able to tell you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users