My Tort Is Sick :(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi,

unfortunately while the Forum was unavailable, my little tort fell ill :( I heard her wheeze while sleeping and in the morning she was retracting her head in the shell and doing a whistling sound. I took her to the vet that same morning and he told me to up her temperatures and gave me antibiotics to mix with warm water and bath her in, I'm also putting water mixed with these antibiotics in her drinking saucer and rinsing her food in this water as well...I'm trying to give her as much anti biotics as possible and maybe spare her a needle!

Now after 5 days, her wheezing at night has stopped and she's retracting her neck much less than before in the mornings, so that would seem like a big improvement..but today when she woke up her nose was a little wet and my wife saw a bubble in her nose while she was playing around. So...is this an improvement or not? I'm confused now, no wheezing but there a bubble in her nose.

The tort is still active and eating like normal, has anyone got any experience on this please?...should i worry that things are getting worse, or are they getting better?

Thankyou!

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Awww poor little thing. :(
I don't have any personal experience of this but I typed runny nose syndrome into the search button at the top of this page and there is quite a lot of info come up. Lots suggest keeping torty warm whilst on antibiotics.
It might be worth giving the vet another ring to tell him of the runny nose as one post suggests perhaps a certain type of antibiotic may be prescribed if it is RNS?
You are doing everthing you can, you are following the instructions of the vet. Please let us know how she gets on? :wub:

Paula x

#3 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hi Paula,

I'd rather not search on the internet...you end up thinking that she might already be dead!!! I posted here cos I know that you are all good keepers and I trust your opinions and experience :)

I'll still give the vet a ring tomorrow...but if anyone has a personal experience with this please let me know.

The antibiotic I'm using is Ganadexil, with the active ingredient 'Enrofloxacin', in the UK I think its better known as Baytril.

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Oh I didn't mean internet search, I meant forum search. You will see the recommendations of our members.
If it is any consolation Baytril has been posted as the recommended antibiotic. :)
Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Paula x

#5 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hello.... My lovely Michelle was diagnosed with RNS in may last year. She had antibiotic injections every couple of days.... Three doses. I was recommended bathing her three times a day... Michelle was not eating so needed fluid to keep her hydrated. Advice on the forum was reptoboost in the bathing water. My vet suggested tilting her, nose down to drain excess fluid from her lungs. Her weight plummeted in weeks and it was a number of months before she started to gain weight. The heat in her pen was increased as was her daylight hours. I had to separate her from my others torts x x. Hope this helps x x if I were you I would go back to your vet x x. Hugs x.

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi!
Sorry to hear that your little one is ill. Sounds like you've been doing everything just fine and following the vets advice. It can take a long time for a tortoise to get ill and even longer for it to get better. Things usually get a little worse before they improve but hopefully she is on the mend now and will eventually recover. Take care and best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hey guys, back in the forum again...at last :)

Today was the last day treating my little one with Baytril baths, I think that she's doing better and the whistling (or wheezing, I need to ask about this one) has decreased but not stopped, she also still retracts her head every few minutes like she's afraid or startled, but this has also decreased this week. Her appetite is back and she's eating normal.I put a halogen heater in her pen and its pumping around 35C and she stays almost all the time under it, I just hope I wont find her tort soup! I talked again to the vet, who did a faecal test which resulted negative to any parasites etc. Tomorrow I'll start another antibiotic, this time a pale yellow powder (I need to phone the vet and ask the name), this should be sprinkled on her food for another 2 weeks...I seriously doubt that she'll touch her food with this...but I'll see tomorrow.These have been 2 very long two weeks!

Now my 'English language' question :) , can someone tell me what's the difference between whistling and wheezing, at least in torts. I hear my tort doing a whistling sound when she retracts her head (must be the RI), but I'm not sure if that is wheezing...doesn't a wheeze come from the mouth? I don't want to be giving the vet wrong info, and honestly would prefer to spare her journeys to the vet with all this cold outside.

Stellane, did Michelle take months to come around...I cant stand another week of this, its stressing us all like mad :wacko:

Thanks

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi There,
I don't think it is too important whether you describe it as whistling or wheezing. The origins of the problem are the same, namely RNS. Sounds like your little one is bunged up. Your vet should be able to interpret what is wrong. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yes she is well bunged up Freddy...today my wife told me that she's sure that torty is taking some breaths out of one of her nares without opening her mouth, so something must hopefully be clearing up... she also saw a small bubble from the other nare. The new antibiotics (plus 24hr halogen heater) must be kicking in at last. The new antibiotic i'm giving her is Doxycycline, a pale yellow powder I mix with her food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users