My Tortoise Isn't Toileting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smudger_*

Guest_smudger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi all, my little tortoise, Nobby, is 18 months old and as such isn't hibernating this year. However i have noticed he isn't toileting as much as he did in the summer. Is this normal? He has only done one faeces in the last 2 weeks. He is just as active as normal and everything else seems ok. Just wanting to know if this is normal during the winter months.
Thanks Lorna x

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi Lorna,
Providing your tortoise is eating regularly and getting plenty of heat and light then he should be toileting regularly.
I suspect your tort could be a little constipated. Bathing him in warm water 3/4 times a week might help improve things.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

yeah a hot bath does it too for my little one...I also notice that she poops more frequently when I give her a sepia bone.

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I would only give torty a lukewarm bath. Mine have 10-20 mins and most bowel movements come towards the end of this. :D
Mind you I do get them up early to bath them before I leave for work. :rolleyes:

Paula x

#5 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

he might be eating it before you get to see it!!i have seen mine do this!!

bruce

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Bless their little cottons! :D

I used to kiss Hettie when I first got her... and then I discovered she had worms... :blink: Now we just say good morning! :lol:

Paula x

#7 Guest_smudger_*

Guest_smudger_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thank you all. I have recently reduced the frequency of his baths as he can now climb into his water bowl and bath himself but i may start bathing him more frequently again. Thank you all !

Lorna and Nobby x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users