Hard Urates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi guys,

Not been online for a while as every time I tried to log in on my phone it said the server was down but finally managed to get back on! Hope you and all your tortoises are okay.

My tortoises were in hibernation for 7 weeks as was my first time. All went very well, they have been out for 2 weeks now and all seem fine although Shelly the larger one is passing hard urates when I bath her. She is eating well and have seen her drinking on numerous occasions but spends most of her time under the basking lamp so could it be this? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Was going to give it a week and see how she goes and then if it carries on, take her to the vets.

Some other news; I bought my first chameleon on sunday. He is a blue-barred ambilobe panther chameleon and I have named him Ziggy! He is just under 3 months old. The colours are starting to show but they do not fully develop until about 1 yr of age. Here are some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is a pic of his dad which hopefully should be similar to how he will turn out:

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hi Sam,
Welcome back.
Glad your torts are safely out of hibernation. I would increase the warm baths for Shelly. This should help improve things. Sounds like she might be a little dehydrated. Congratulations on your new Chameleon 'Ziggy'. He looks wonderful and so does his dad! Take care Sam.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

cracking looking lizard!!

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Oh wow! He's lovely. I had no idea they went the colours of his dad. :wub:

Good to hear the little guys did well in hibernation. I would definately up the bathing until at least twice a day in warm water until the urates return to normal. What substrate do you keep them on? If on soil a little light spraying to up the humidity a bit will also help.
Hettie passed a massive stone when she used to be on her table. She was always prone to grainy urates despite being bathed daily. She doesn't get problems with her urates now she lives outside (heated shed). She is fast asleep in the fridge right now. Ooooh I can't wait until they all get up! :D

Paula x

#5 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

wow ziggy is lovely,glad your hibernation went well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users