• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Traceandshan_*

Guest_Traceandshan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Morning all

Need some advice...

Brought home our 2yr old female herman tortoise beginning of january, took her a little while to adapt but then seemed fine...

however the past week or 2 she seems to be sleeping alot and no matter what we do she curls up and sleeps wherever she ends up!!

i was informed that she wont hybernate as shes too young (was told 4yrs old they start this?)

is she just being lazy or does she need to hybernate?

she has her lights on 9am-8pm but sleeps even when this is on!?! so when we get home we will put her under the light

if i do need to hybernate her what do i do???
iv not read up on it as didnt think id need to do it this year??

iv vaguely read they go in the fridge? please tell me this isnt so??

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hi There,
You will need to provide plenty of heat and light if you are to prevent your tortoise from going into hibernation mode. You will also need to keep the temps in the room you keep her enclosure in up. Tortoises usually slow down and sleep a lot this time of year. As long as she is continuing to eat there shouldn't be a problem. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Traceandshan_*

Guest_Traceandshan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

thanks freddy

the lights on all day for heat so we put her under that if shes sleeping when we get home.... and room is always hot so think im doin all i should... maybe shes jus lazy as shes eating still when we do wake her up!

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

As long as she is eating she should be fine! Best of luck. ;)
Freddy :D

#5 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

hi you could try and add extra light this might help,my torts are loads more active with the extra light ive put in :)

#6 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hi,

my tort has lots of light and heat and still goes to sleep around 1pm, she wakes up around 8am...lazy bugger ;)

Torts dont have an age when they start to hibernate...they do so in the wild just months after they hatch.

Take care of your lazy one!

#7 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

You need to make sure the ambient temperature in the room is between 18-20 and the area under the basking lamp should be able to get to about 35 in order to replicate summer conditions. The whole idea of overwintering them is that you trick them into thinking it's still summer. Any variations and they will naturally slow down, eat less and go to sleep more. x

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Torts dont have an age when they start to hibernate...they do so in the wild just months after they hatch.

It has been observed that hatchlings in the wild don't fully hibernate. Instead they remain semi-active with short rest periods. That is why I believe it is not necessary to hibernate a tortoise until it is 2-3 years old. Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#9 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Good to know, thanks Freddy :)

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi there,
It is a funny time of year for the little guys. I have one little fella being overwintered, he is only 23g. I have both a UVB strip light (reptiglo10) and a UVA bulb which is like a daylight bulb for extra brightness (reptiglo 2) and little Twiglet still heads for shelter mid afternoon. :rolleyes: I think their natural instinct must just kick in, they do seem to know it's not summer no matter how hard we try!
Just one thing though, you haven't had her very long, I wonder where you got her from, pet shop bought torts are often found to have worms, have you had a sample checked by the vet? It might be worth ruling out?

Paula x

#11 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

I had a problem with Pepsi & Tango that they were sleeping far too much so I went to the vets and he said to have the uv strip as low as possible. I also have an Arcadia D3 100w multi bulb but ever since i have lowered the uv strip they are really active.. What my vet said did make sense, when we go for sunbeds, look how close we have to get to the tubes to get the uv benefit, well it's the same for them..

Jeanette x

#12 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

My UV lamp is not more than 15cms above where she basks and she still goes to sleep at around 1pm...but maybe it's because she was very sick lately...today I noticed that she woke up again around 3pm and spent some time trekking...things are defintely improving for her :D

#13 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Good to hear she's on the mend. :wub:

Typical though, as soon as you write a post saying they go to bed early... you catch them having a sneaky wander!! :lol:

Paula x

#14 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

My UV lamp is not more than 15cms above where she basks and she still goes to sleep at around 1pm...but maybe it's because she was very sick lately...today I noticed that she woke up again around 3pm and spent some time trekking...things are defintely improving for her :D

Glad to hear things are improving for your tort. Hopefully she'll be back to herself soon.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#15 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Yeah she's definetely improving, I have stopped one of the antibiotics this week (the one i mixed with food) and I'll be stopping the Baytril baths this week. She's been going around her pen re-designing (bulldozing) the stone arrangements and trying to push over her gate to get out...she like to go free-range :D

These has been 6 really hard weeks, Thankyou guys for your support!!!

#16 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

She definately sounds alot better... They do cause us some worries don't they? but luckily she has a loving dedicated owner who spotted she wasn't right and got her sorted..well done you.. I love to read nice happy endings..and i bet she's glad she hasn't got to have that yukky medicine in her food anymore. xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users