Can You Id Cola For Me?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi everyone..

Please can anyone confirm what species Cola is? I tried taking photo's they're not very good but I do hate putting her on her back, she looks at me as if to say.. "I don't like this"...

Attached Files

• Attached File  026.jpg   1.69MB   66 downloads
  • Attached File  029.jpg   1.6MB   79 downloads
  • Attached File  044.jpg   1.58MB   67 downloads
  • Attached File  045.jpg   1.5MB   78 downloads
  • Attached File  046.jpg   1.64MB   89 downloads
  • Attached File  047.jpg   1.61MB   93 downloads
  • Attached File  048.jpg   1.49MB   86 downloads
  • Attached File  049.jpg   1.88MB   73 downloads
  • Attached File  053.jpg   1.45MB   76 downloads
  • Attached File  054.jpg   2.51MB   61 downloads

#2 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

100% boettgri

#3 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

As you expected then... can you tell me a bit about the Boettgri? There are so many initials that I have never really understood.. THB, Thg etc etc..

Thanks x

#4 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

the boettgri sub comes from eastern europe.it is the largest of the hermann's.it dose not come into contact with the western(hermanni hermanni)however it can come into contact with the other eastern hermann the hercs on the edges of its range.

#5 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

wow, the biggest... But Cola seems so small compared to some.. how did you know? Is it the 2 black marks by her tail? She is 6 in June, so you know how big they get? x

#6 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

THH is the western testudo hermanni hermanni
THH the eastern testudo hermanni hercegovinensis
THB the other eastern testudo hermanni boettgri

#7 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Bruce, how the heck do you pronounce Boettgri... is it botty-gree? or boat-gree? he he x

#8 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

the bots have a scute(pic 5)that the hercs havent.the westerns have this to but yours is not western as underneath is not completly black and cant see the key hole marking on any of your hatchlings
i have female boettgri with a weight of over two kg your girl has a lot of growning to do!!

#9 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

not sure!!i do as boett gri!!!

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi Jeanette,
I'm delighted to hear Cola is a Boettgeri like my Billiejo. :) Here is a link you may find useful http://www.austinstu...asthermanns.htm
Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#11 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

Thanks Bruce & Freddy, that has been so useful to know... I read the care sheet and I'm not liking her being classed as "fairly common" I daren't tell her, I call her the duchess because she can be so snooty sometimes... he he
So Freddy, when Billiejo was younger did she have the vivid black & yellow stripes like Cola?, I read that they fade over time.

Thanks again x

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

I wouldn't worry about the common bit Jeanette. :) Boettgeri's seem to be harder to find than their Herc counterparts, at least in the U.K anyway. Personally, I prefer the Boettgeri sub-species but then again I'm probably a little biased! he!he! :lol:
Yes, Billiejo was a rich colour when I first bought her as an adult but this has faded now. However, I've had her 30 years so there is no reason why Cola shouldn't be around for many years to come. Best of luck with her Jeanette ;) and welcome again to the Boettgeri club!he!he! :lol:
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#13 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

LOL! The duchess!! :lol: Nothing wrong with that Jeanette, in our house Hettie's full title is Princess Hettie Hermann and she is a Herc! :D

It is best to find out which subspecies they are, I have had a bit of a difficult decision to make recently. When I first got Hettie I had only heard of THB and the THH, I knew Hettie was not a THH and presumed she was a THB, then I got Bailey and Boo to keep her company only to discover a little later Hettie is a Herc.. then in summer Bailey and Boo now aged 4.5 grew boy tails... This will mean they are the bigger type and if kept with Hettie would damage her during mating. :( Sooo I am having to rehome them. :(
BUT luckily good friends of mine have agreed to take them on, they will be treated like princes and will be sooo well looked after. :wub: And I will still be able to see them, they will be holidaying during hibernation in my torty fridge too! :D
It is so important to be sure of the subspecies you have before increasing your group. We live and learn!! :) I was very lucky to have such an ideal solution... but will struggle to say goodbye for sure!

Paula x

#14 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

I read this thread with interest and Jeanette, Bubble could be Cola's twin.... Even to the raised scutes on the top of the shell. Are those part of the boerttei sub species or are they caused by growing too fast x x x hugs x x

#15 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

This has all interested me too, as I assumed thet Norman was a western Hermanni Hermanni as that's what it states on his certificate, but someone has brought my attention to the fact that it is common place that this can be incorrect on certificates!

Can anyone identify Norman's sub species from the pics I've posted? There are Load in these threads:

http://www.hermann-t...l=&fromsearch=1

http://www.hermann-t...l=&fromsearch=1

#16 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Stellanne - She was like that when I got her over 4 years ago.. luckily it hasn't got any worse since I have had her...
Paula - I am so happy that you have found a good home for bailey & Boo.. it's going to break your heart, but at least you can still see them.. xx

#17 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hi Kelly,

On their cerfificates it just says Testudo Hermanni, Hermanns Tortoises, it doesn't give the subspecies. Hopefully someone will be able to ID Norman soon.

Thanks Jeanette. :)

Stellanne, there are differing opinions of why scutes are raised, over feeding and humidity levels are just two of them. There are torts in the wild with raised scutes too. I think there is lots of work to be done before anyone can say for sure.

Paula x

#18 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi Kelly,

On their cerfificates it just says Testudo Hermanni, Hermanns Tortoises, it doesn't give the subspecies. Hopefully someone will be able to ID Norman soon.

Norman's certificate says he's a Testudo Hermanni Hermanni..... Could his stated sub species be incorrect??? I'm really confused now! LOL I'm getting loads of conflicting information from everywhere!! :blink:

#19 Guest_19Kel71_*

Guest_19Kel71_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I've just found a briliiant link:

http://www.shelledwa...hread.php?t=243

I think Norman's actually a herc! :mellow:

#20 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi kelly

I think to know for sure, maybe take some pics of his underneath and bum area.. also a close up of his face.. I think they will be able to know for sure then..

I did feel awful though putting Cola on her back to get some pics.. xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users