Worms In Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I weighed my guys in hibernation today and was alarmed when I picked up two of the big girls and saw several small worms in the soil beneath them.
Both girls were wormed and given the all clear in autumn before wind down.
I have thought about waking them but unless you can advise me differently have decided to leave them to hibernate.
My reasons being, neither have lost more than 5g during hibernation and I figure that if I had hibernated using a different method I would have been non the wiser.
They are in the fridge, in boxes or topsoil.
I think that had they been in the ground or in boxes of shredded paper I would never have known.
I have removed the wormy soil but am aware any eggs would be alot smaller and maybe not visable. I can only presume that as the girls are empty of food the worms have come out looking for food?
Ooooh it was horrible!
Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Paula x

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi Paula,
Ooohh! sounds horrible alright! As long as they are not losing too much weight I would allow them to complete their hibernation. Best to have them wormed in Spring! Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I wud prob freak oot and get them up!!!

#4 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

errrggghhh!!! what if they have itchy bum's and don't have the energy to scratch them??? I would have to get them up... xxx

#5 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Paula,
If your quick, i think i would change the soil / paper with a fresh / new batch. Get it all prepared and then move fast, but keep the torts in the fridge on paper whilst you do the transaction. Just a thought . Good luck John.

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi Guys,
I don't think another 4 weeks of hibernation will make that much difference.
Besides, it might be impractical for Paula to take her tortoises out at the moment.
I agree with John, it would be a good idea to replace the topsoil in the fridge. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for your replies chaps. :)

The topsoil has been changed without the girls noticing. They are back in the fridge and I shall inspect them again next weekend. :unsure:

I shall worm them as soon as they are eating again. The plan was to get them all up and to introduce Hettie to the new girls as soon as they come out of the fridge. Having just changed a massive amount of soil in the outdoor enclosure it now looks like quarantine quarters need to be set up again while they are dewormed!! No trouble!! :rolleyes: :wub:

I was given a piece of advice from Kay about getting them out of hibernation that I had not even considered. Kay suggested I get the girls up a week before the boys to allow them time to open their sleepy eyes and return to normal before the big chase starts from the boys. I think this is a great idea and so all being well Gigidy, my 'ladies tort', will be having an extra week!!

Paula x

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Great idea Kay! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

It can be difficult to be rid of worms once you've had them!

Seriously they get into the soil and the tortoises can become re-infected. So they can tend to come back even with treatment, which is what has hapenned with mine. A certain level of worm infestation is not a problem but if you have seen worms then it is a problem. I don't see any need to get them up from hibernation. If it was me I would wait until they were fully active, feeding and thriving before I used the wormer.

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Thanks Oz,

I was wondering about when to worm the girls. Part of me thought.. what if I were to try and get the wormer inside while they were asleep, then everyone would wake up wormless! Just a thought :rolleyes: , then I wondered that if they were to be wormed as soon as they were awake the worms might die quicker? :) And then I thought perhaps the wormer would harm them with empty tummies. :D
So after all that thought I shall go with what you suggested, once up and eating well they shall be wormed! :lol:

Paula x

#11 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Tortoises are all different but when I wormed my larger ones in the early summer 2011 they were all a bit quiet for a couple of days and not quite themsleves. Then they came back with a double bounce! The wormer does put a bit of stress on the system and its often suggested not to use it right before or after hibernation as the tortoise is not on top of his or her game at that time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users